Cellar + Insulation + Ventilation + Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Please excuse the funny title, but the post concerns all the above, hance it being posted in here rather than a specific area.

OK, our 1902 mid terrace has two cellar rooms, below our lounge and kitchen respectively. In order to run new electrics and other practical and aesthetic reasons we removed the lath and plaster ceilings from both rooms to expose the joists and underside of the floorboards of the above rooms. (electrics were run through joists to new kitchen and existing ceiling had several unsightly holes in it).

Now winter is upon us, it is noticeably colder in the rooms above the cellars than it was this time last year. The cellars both have ventilation (which causes them by default to be cold in winter).

My question is twofold, firstly, I intend to put the regular mineral wool type insulation between the joists of the cellar ceiling, probably held in place initially by some form of mesh (chicken wire?) until we get round to making it permanent and boarding out the ceilings.
Is this a feasible and satisfactory solution?
Secondly, with regards to the electrics that now run between the joists, do I need to leave some area around these cables when insulating, to avoid the risk of them overheating or will this not be a problem? The electrics in question are merely 1 ring looped alongside itself (cables follow the same route) and then two radial oven cables (not running alongside the above ring).

Many thanks in advance, I have tried to provide all relevant info but if there is anything I have missed, please ask and I will elaborate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back