Cement Mixer - what kind/make?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redesigning our patio - quite a job for me. I'll soon need to learn how to lay bricks and sometime after that, will need to lay the patio slabs. I don't want to hire a mixer as I think the job is likely to take quite a while, so I'm looking to buy. What kind of mixer should I go for? I have no experience at all of using a cement mixer or mixing, so this is a learning curve for me. All I can think of so far, is something where the drum isn't too far off the ground so putting sand and cement into the mixer won't be too hard.
Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
The Belle "barrow" mixers are pretty robust and low to the ground. They do tend to last quite well judging from the number of olde ones around on builders wagons, although they're no longer the cheapest

Scrit

No question of it.
For a relatively marginal extra sum I would and do go for Belle mini mixers every time. They last us around 2-5 years, working pretty much full time.
Petrol or electric doesn't matter, just keep the oil topped up.
AND clean the drum at the end of the day.

go for an electric belle. very light, reliable, portable and quiet. They also do a good range of spares and replacement parts.

As mentioned before, clean it at the end of use, dont hammer the hell out of it to get the dried stuff out the next day or it wont last

Sponsored Links
I can't see the point in buying a belle if it is just for one job. OK, it may have some resale value, but you will have to work it out.

Otherwise, go for one of the £100 ones which crop up now and again at Aldi or suchlike, or the similar ones from machinemart.

Putting the sand/cement in is not the problem, it is getting it out which you will find harder. I would suggest you may find a side-tilt model better, with a large wheel to tip the drum, rather than the common belle ones which require more effort to tip the mix out

Buy cheap pay twice.
The cheap side mixers with the tilt wheel do not last, even with very light use they really struggle to cope from day one, mix one.
Even if you only use the Belle for one job every year it will last.

Thanks for all the replies. I forgot to mention that once the patio is finished - mid to late April I hope, I'll be wanting to sell on the mixer, so I'd like it to hold it's value.
I've checked ebay for "Belle Cement Mixer" and there's a huge variety - 31 !
Petrol; Diesel; 110v; 240v; baby; mini; new; battered......

Which one?

linlin said:
Which one?

Which ever is in your price range. :rolleyes:

Then decide how you want to power it, then decide how much you will be mixing

Have you looked at any mixers on the belle web site? www.belle-group.co.uk/en/products/prodIntro.html

You will lose more if you buy new and then sell. You are better off buying second hand and then you can most likely sell it for near what you paid

^woody^ said:
Then decide how you want to power it, then decide how much you will be mixing

Have you looked at any mixers on the belle web site? www.belle-group.co.uk/en/products/prodIntro.html

You will lose more if you buy new and then sell. You are better off buying second hand and then you can most likely sell it for near what you paid

I've looked at the belle website - thanks for the link - the minimix 130 looks good but it's for export only (230v).
I'd like to be able to use it by myself, so I guess electric would be best. I've got approx 14m wall to build, (half of that will be double thickness) and approx 108 sq m patio slabs to lay. I'd expect to build the wall whenever I get time, so a morning here, an afternoon there. Laying the patio is something I'm hoping to get some help with over Easter, so hopefully three of us on the job.
Ebay have a 110v at a buy it now price of £220 + £40 postage; the same seller has a 230v at a buy it now price of £185 - based Bristol
Also a 150 minimix 240v - in Nottingham Item number: 170072882599 - first bid is £90. What do you think this one is worth, given I'd want to get my money back.
Can these mixers be taken apart for collection by car?
We are not mainland UK so carriage costs could be an issue. The Bristol based mixers state £40 postage anywhere in UK; all others offering delivery state mainland UK only. But we have a business trip coming up and collection from Notts could be possible.
There is one mixer without a stand - how does this affect getting the mix out?

linlin said:
Can these mixers be taken apart for collection by car?

.......There is one mixer without a stand - how does this affect getting the mix out?
Yes. I collected my first in the back of a hatchback (Xantia) - not easy, but it went in after chopping up the box. The stand positions the mixer far enough off the ground to make pouring into a barrow possible (useful, I'd say). Apart from that there's not much advantage to having it. The 110volt models are useable on a building site and if working in the wet can save you getting a nasty belt - but you do need a transformer to support it.

Scrit

as a builder of medium size extensions i couldn't possibly recommend anything other than a Belle 110v mixer.

i have replaced the drum once, but the motor just keeps on going. that little workhorse has mixed up tonnes of muck.

it is difficult to find anything that could compare. i suppose a second hand belle wouldn't be overkill would it?

look in your friday ad if you want a second hand one. If you want a new one go to your local builders merchant. Most will sell one as cheap as anywhere else if you emntion you need to but bricks, cement sand etc. No problems with long journeys and any problems you can go straight back to somewhere local.

The OP is looking at something like 20 mixes. Any machine will do that.

Also he is looking at the same % of depreciation at sale time whether its a well known or not so well known brand.

The difficulty in transport leaves many models out - and he needs to consider how it will be sold (and transported) if he is off the mainland.

I would go with a belle mini 80 from screwfix - £150 delivered, designed to be small and light and disassemles into the drum

here

^woody^ said:
The OP is looking at something like 20 mixes. Any machine will do that.

Also he is looking at the same % of depreciation at sale time whether its a well known or not so well known brand.

The difficulty in transport leaves many models out - and he needs to consider how it will be sold (and transported) if he is off the mainland.

I would go with a belle mini 80 from screwfix - £150 delivered, designed to be small and light and disassemles into the drum

here

Thanks for that Woody. BTW "he" is a "she" who has never mixed cement before, never built brick walls or laid a patio! But I'm about to learn! So I'd prefer something relatively easy to use, but it doesn't have to be pink. :D
The belle mini 80 looks good, but Screwfix use their own courier however large the item and postage of over £4 was required when ordering rawlplugs last week, so I'd expect courier charges of over £30.
We have a B&Q here and that's it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back