Cement Render or Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help
I have recently hacked off the old render 1 meter high from my dining room as it was contaminated from a bridged DPM.
What I have removed was a sand and cement render and a skim top coat plaster. I was wondering if I need to replace with the same or can I use a standard plaster scratch coat with a multifinish top coat.
The walls were quite damp - is a sand and cement render more water resistant?
Can I add a waterproofing agent to either the render or plaster in case there is any more damp penetrating? Or is it best to tank with a bitumen latex before rendering.
Bricks are in reasonable condition
If cement render would the mix be 4:1 sharp sand

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you havent sorted the problem or the sorse of the damp.
unless the damp has gone theres no point rendering and gypsum plasters wont help ;)

Hi,
Thanks for the reply
I think I have sorted the source of the damp as there was a raised area of paving along the external wall which was bridging the damp proof course which I have removed. Also the internal render was joining the concrete floor. I was just thinking that it may be worth putting an additive in just in case the problem was rising damp and might give it a little more protection as I have to do it anyway.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ziggy123 said:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply
I think I have sorted the source of the damp as there was a raised area of paving along the external wall which was bridging the damp proof course which I have removed. Also the internal render was joining the concrete floor. I was just thinking that it may be worth putting an additive in just in case the problem was rising damp and might give it a little more protection as I have to do it anyway.

many thanks.

forget rising damp it doesnt exist ;)

use a sand and cement with a waterproofer, do a search on here and you will find out a bit more ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back