Central heating noise /kettling and banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wickes 50 boiler situated downstairs, and a pump in the airing cupboard upstairs with the hot water tank. Recently I had the whole system drained and flushed, and the water treated.
The last month or so the boiler has been 'kettling' extremely loudly, especially on colder days as you'd expect. I injected some 'Fernox boiler noise silencer' into the system via a radiator, and the kettling seemed to go quiet quite quickly. Impressed, i went to bed only to be woken up the next day and every day since with the loudest banging ever heard emitting from the boiler and the nearest connected radiator (bathroom). Honestly it seems as though the house is shaking itself to bits. In an effort to try and relieve the noise, all rads were bled (no air in them) and i vented the pump. No change. Next i turned the pump up one step and hey presto the banging stops. However the pump is now noisy and i'm getting a little fed up, especially as i like to try and understand what's wrong as much as possible. Note that any time i turn the pump down again the banging returns with a vengeance.
Any ideas why the banging appeared, and where it went when the pump was turned up? And the 'knocking' coming from the pump i guess could be wear of some kind? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pump is not circulating the water around your system fast enough. Are you sure water is present in all rads? Is your bypass open enough ?:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back