central heating not coming on , changed 3 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my heating is firing up ok but when selecting central heating the boiler does not fire up. I changed the 3 port valve for a horstmann valve but still have the problem, when you select central heating the valve moves to just past the mid way position but not fully across, if you then pull the override lever fully across the boiler fires up and you get heating. I thought it might be a faulty valve so tryed another identical valve and it does exactly the same. Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
It`s probably your programmer/clock but then you say your heating is firing up o.k.? please clarify.

1) Incorrect voltage from HW off to the M/V. Usually grey wire.
2) Incorrect/no voltage from room thermostat to white M/V wire

EliteHeat said:
1) Incorrect voltage from HW off to the M/V. Usually grey wire.
2) Incorrect/no voltage from room thermostat to white M/V wire

No good talking like a Dalek, it`s a programmer or Roomstat fault is it not?

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
Incorrect voltage from HW off to the M/V. Usually grey wire.
i did have a guy come round and he fitted a new control box , all worked fine when he left but next day i noticed the boiler was switching on when both central heating and hot water were switched to the off position, switched the power off then on again and this resulted in the problem i described earlier ?

bowcourt said:
EliteHeat said:
i did have a guy come round and he fitted a new control box , all worked fine when he left but next day i noticed the boiler was switching on when both central heating and hot water were switched to the off position, switched the power off then on again and this resulted in the problem i described earlier ?

Then he is a pillock, get someone in who has an idea. Mate was it? :rolleyes: Pay the consequences fellah.

Bamber gaspipe said:
bowcourt said:
EliteHeat said:

Then he is a pillock, get someone in who has an idea. Mate was it? :rolleyes: Pay the consequences fellah.
no was a heating engineer , the old control box had micro switches behind the connections and he said he hadn't come across this before and replaced it with a standard connection box.

He wasn`t, you have paid for & got a substandard service...tell it to the Judge my friend ;)

OK, with all of the thermostats set to maximum, measure the following:-

HW on / CH off - voltage on orange wire
HW off / CH off - voltage on grey wire
HW off / CH on - voltage on grey wire + white wire
HW off / CH on - voltage on white wire

EliteHeat said:

HW on / CH off - voltage on orange wire 240v
HW off / CH off - voltage on grey wire 70v
HW off / CH on - voltage on grey wire + white wire 40v
HW off / CH on - voltage on white wire
240v

i have put the readings above, didnt know what u meant on the grey wire + white wire reading so the reading i put down was the grey wire hw off/ ch on.

bowcourt said:
EliteHeat said:

HW on / CH off - voltage on orange wire 240v
HW off / CH off - voltage on grey wire 70v
HW off / CH on - voltage on grey wire + white wire 40v
HW off / CH on - voltage on white wire 240v
240v

i have put the readings above, didnt know what u meant on the grey wire + white wire reading so the reading i put down was the grey wire hw off/ ch on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back