Central heating pipes inside stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I need some advice about running my central heating pipes through a wall.
I currently have two pipes running from the ceiling down my kitchen wall then through the wall to a radiator hanging on the other side of the wall in the living room. the wall is wood frame with plasterboard on both sides, is that called stud wall? As I am installing a new kitchen I dont want these unsightly pipes running down the wall. Since the upstair floor is coming up anyway, can I reroute the pipes down INSIDE the stud wall cavity then come out to the existing radiator?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fine, btu remember you have the noggin's to get through - so remove the plasterboard on one side and thread pipes through the noggins... Invest in some decent holesaws or spade bits.

It's not generally regarded as good practice to put pipes in 'invisible' places where they might get drilled later. But with no viable alternative, down the middle of the stud-wall is pretty safe, especially if it's obvious (from the rad position, other pipe routes, etc.) that they MUST be in there.

Sponsored Links
If you are really clever you can identify where the noggins are and just make a small hole in the plasterboard on one side to enable you to drill a hole in the noggin.

A DIYer will probably use an electronic stud finder and a professional will usually tap and listen ( after he has turned down the radio blaring out radio 1 )

If you want to do an easier job you can buy a 90 degree angle end drill to make it easier.

This is a job where plastic pipe does have many advantages although for most applications I dont like it.

Tony

i have in the past fed a length of pipe down and knocked the noggin out.you need to knock it at one side next to stud so as to push it down on one side.then feed pipe out behind rad.

The ones I fit are 4" x 2" with TWO 4" nails through each vertical. they dont move unless there is an earthquake!

Are people doing them to a lesser standard now?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back