Central heating pump orientation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pump on my central heating has gone Kaput. The fuse kept blowing, disconected pump, no blown fuse.

I have invested in a Grundfos Alpha 15/60 (68.00 from plumb centre) to replace a 15/50 (as we have added an extension therefore 3 new rads). Only problem is that the old pump was orientated horizontally, but the new one, according to the supplied literature needs to be vertical.

Can i just replce like for like or do i need to re-run some plumbing?

Cheers in anticipation

Iain :D

Sponsored Links
From memory (i.e without going and checking right now), the 15/50 can be horizontal, so I'm surprised to hear that the Alpha 15/60 can't.

However, if the MI says that you have to, then you have to.

How many rads do you have in total, and how high above the pump is the highest rad?

I would disagree with the instructions IF they really say that !

The pump shaft should always be horizontal whatever kind of pump!

If they REALLY say that then could you please send it to me as an email attachment and I will take it up with Mr Grunfoss.

Tony

are you sure it dont say that the head should not be pointing straight up?

cos like tony and soft I have never heard of that

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the tardy repy,

It was the shaft that has to be horizontal NOT the pump...

I have 10 rads and the highest one is 13feet above the pump, i thought with so many rads the extra pump power would be a bonus.

Thanks for the useful reply, i will make sure i know the instructins inside our before i post next!

Cheers

Iain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back