Central heating virgin has problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I've recently moved into a new flat and am inexperienced when it comes to all things central heating.
The flat is fitted with a Biasi combi boiler. The lady who i bought the flat from was good enough to show me the basic mechanics of the boiler before she left.
She said I was to keep the pressure gage between one and two and then showed me the refil tap should it dip below that.
All was fine until a couple of days ago when I discovered there was no hot water coming from the kitchen sink tap. I checked the pressure gage on the boiler and saw it was near zero. The boiler wouldn't switch on when I tried to do so, so I refilled it to 1.5 and hey presto it ignited.
Problem solved I thought. No. The pressure gage then rose to about 2.7 and looked like continuing, so I switched the the thing off.
The next morning i saw the pressure had dropped to about 1.
This is when I realised I had a problem. I scoured the five radiators in my flat and discovered one had a small dripping emanating from the bit on the bottom that attaches the radiator to what looks like a copper pipe coming up through the floorboards.
Around the hole in the floorboard, from which the pipe protrudes, was quite soggy.
I've switched that radiator's heat setting to zero and wrapped a towel around the source of the dripping.
What should I do now?
I don't know whether the dripping has caused the boiler to play up or if the boiler playing up has caused the radiator to start dripping.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The dripping will cause your system to lose pressure, and if it loses pressure it will stop running.

You will probably need to fit a new radiator valve. It might be possible to tighten up a joint, but assume a new valve (they only cost a few pounds). You could do that yourself or get a plumber in. If there is a hole in the radiator itself, it is probably rusty and will need to be replaced.

If the floor is chipboard, it will have been damaged by the leak. So will any carpet. But that is less urgent than fixing the leak.

There might be a secondary fault but it will be easier to be sure after the leak is fixed. If there is a boiler fault, you will need a Corgi Boiler engineer to fix it.

As you have had a leak, you will need to add corrosion inhibitor to the system. If the water coming out is black or contains sediment it will need cleaning out.

Start with the leak.

Get the leak fixed and while you are at it have the expansion vessel on the boiler repressurised.

Has to be done correctly so see FAQ or get an engineer.

By the way the leak is not why the pressure went up. That happened because of the expansion vessel.
The pressure went down because of the leak in the first place.

Stan

Thanks. The water coming out is clear as far as I can tell. I don't understand about the expansion vessel. Is that something I've done?

Sponsored Links
No, it is a component in the boiler that absorbs pressure rises as the water expands with heat. A bit like a ballon full of air. Sounds like yours needs pumping up.

You have not caused it. Sounds like the system has not been maintained.

Thanks again. I was told the boiler is only two years old. I can't believe it's going wrong already. Also what is corrosion inhibitor?

"""She said I was to keep the pressure gage between one and two and then showed me the refil tap should it dip below that.

All was fine until a couple of days ago when I discovered there was no hot water coming from the kitchen sink tap. I checked the pressure gage on the boiler and saw it was near zero."""

You were lucky to have a helpful seller who told you all about the flat. Unfortunately you did not bother to follow her advice and did not bother to keep it topped up regularly.

Obviously the leak needs to be fixed first. Then you will need to see if the boiler's expansion vessel is damaged, needs recharging or you just left the filling loop partly open.

You may choose to engage a professional.

Tony

Inhibitor is just a chemical that is added to the water. But if you have a leak and top up with fresh water, some of the protection will be washed out.

Consider: Steel radiators + water + copper pipes

It probably just wants a bit of regular maintenance.

Agile said:
Unfortunately you did not bother to follow her advice and did not bother to keep it topped up regularly.

I regularly checked the pressure and it was always between 1 and 1.5. It was only the other day when it dropped toward zero. That's why I thought the leak might not be too old.
The seller told me that she only ever had to top up three times in the two years she had the boiler.
I'm not sure as to whether she kept it maintained or had a service contract on it, but that it was I have now taken out.
In the meantime I've arranged for a plumber to come and fix the leak.

In that case its most likely that a physical trauma caused the leak.

That most often happens when a vaccuum cleaner hits the rad feed pipe and strains the joint into the rad valve.

I hope the plumber can manage simple boiler issues like the expansion vessel otherwise you will need a boiler engineer as well.

Tony

The plumber coming is only able to fix the leak. I have a boiler engineer coming out as part of my maintenaince contract. They reckon he'll be able to sort the problem but he isn't coming for about three weeks. Is that too long to wait once the leak is fixed?

You will have to see how it responds after the leak is fixed.

If you have a genuine maintenance contract dont wait for a "service" as that may not be able to deal with a "repair".

If it still gives serious trouble call them out as a "repair" which should be done within 24 hours on most contracts.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I'll wait and see. My service contract doesn't start until I've had the initial service in three weeks' time. However, the woman on the phone said the guy will fix any problems he finds there and then. Scottish Hydro-Electric, very helpful.

There is usually a charge for fixing any faults.

The delay is probably to stop people with serious existing faults.

BG will come quickly to a boiler with an existing fault but charge extra to their annual service cost when its faulty at the outset.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back