CH Pump Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pump on my central heating got stuck/packed up. It was very hot to touch so I gave it a tap to get it going again like I've done many times before. Only this time its now dripping between the pump and the pump valve gate.
I'm a bit if a newbie to all this but how do I shut the valve gate to stop it dripping till I can get my plumber over in the morning?

Sponsored Links
If the leak is between the pump and one of the isolation valves, tighten the big nut (clockwise) that links the pump body to the valve. If you can only reduce the leak to a slow drip you could put towels/bowls underneath till the plumber arrives.

Alternatively, if you're prepared to get cold, you can shut off the isolation valves on each side of the pump. Switch off the heating first!! If the two isolation valves are gate-type, with a square-ended spindle, use a spanner and turn each one clockwise till it stops turning. If the valves are ball-type valves, often with a slotted spindle, use a screwdriver to turn the slots through 90 degrees to shut off the flow.

Big Al

Stick a bucket under it, if you start playing around with the isolation valves there's a good chance you will end up in more trouble.

Thanks for the advice. I shut off the heating & closed both the gate valves and it stopped dripping & the plumber is on his way

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Let that be a lesson to all those householders reading this!

If anything is not working properly then get it fixed asap and do not wait until a cold spell when heating engineers might be rather busy!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back