Change standard Boiler for Combi or straight swap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My boiler is on its last knockings almost 18yrs old. It is an Ideal wlx situated in my garage. I have a cylinder indoors with the cold header tank in the loft (i live in a bungalow).
As from April i understand that you can only have energy a or b class and has to be a condensing or condensing combi only, so access to drainage is required. Bearing i have no drainage access at the back of my garage (dont know if this would be easy to put in place or not) would i be better off to do away with all the stuff in the loft and the airing cupboard (located in a bedroom) to free up some valuable space. Is a combi powerful enough to run my heating and are they much quicker now at pumping water fast, and more reliable than a few years ago. I dont really know what to go for. Bearing in mind my bungalow is 3 bed (not massive) with the garage at 1 side, then bedroom, then the bathroom is next to that, with the kitchen next to that.
Would a combi be the best alternative from an experts point of view please? Also, if i change it now then drainage wont be necessary i think.
A worry guts housewife who wants to make the right choice before spending a lot of money!

Thanks in advance
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
this boiler keeps going and going why change it. the only reason to change would be if the main heat exchanger starts leaking, they rarely break down if serviced regular and the spares are so cheap only parts to break down are thermocouple, gas valve, thermostat and blocked pilot injector if not cleaned for 5 years + the modern condensing ones require lots of maintenance, parts and patience ie baxi barcelona, combies also require lots of maintenance and you can only use 1 hot tap at a time

If and when it comes to a new boiler, you can make a soakaway for the condensate, so it might not be too big a hassle from the garage.
If you do go for a combi get one which will keep itself hot in the summer - you have a fair run to your taps as it is so you might have to wait for your HW.

Thanks for that! Hubby just said 'thats exactly what i think, whilst it is still going leave it alone'
Mind you it does sound a bit rattly like a bag of nails, so a good service needed i think. There was a slight leak at the top of it at the back (water) and my plumber took the part out of it, saying its not needed anyway. Some sort of pressure release valve, although i am not quite sure what he meant. It is still goin though. It has been a very good boilder only ever had 1 thermo couple change in all them years

Regards
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
lolly said:
Thanks for that! Hubby just said 'thats exactly what i think, whilst it is still going leave it alone'
Mind you it does sound a bit rattly like a bag of nails, so a good service needed i think. There was a slight leak at the top of it at the back (water) and my plumber took the part out of it, saying its not needed anyway. Some sort of pressure release valve, although i am not quite sure what he meant. It is still goin though. It has been a very good boilder only ever had 1 thermo couple change in all them years

Regards
Lorraine

I hope he didnt take the pressure release valve out without putting a new one in.

Ooohhh!! Will have to check with him He didnt put anything back in there but there is still a slight leak i have noticed. It is really hot water but doesnt seem to leak all the time! I just put a tray ontop of my freezer to catch any little drips. Hubby is phoning another plumber as we speak to inspect it for us...
Cheers
Lorraine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back