Change timing belt on Corsa? No idea if its ever been done.

mcv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Been running about in a 1994 corsa 1.2 ls the last few months, got 86k on it.
Does not have any service history, so no idea whats been done.
The cars been running really well and good condition & never let me down, good on fuel so use it regular and want to keep it a while longer. All I've done is an oil and filter change.
Should I get the timing belt done as i've no idea when it was last done and how long they last? Don't want it breaking as the car is too good to waste. Anyway of telling by looking at the condition of it?
Dont know how to change it myself so what the cheapest place to get this done and rough cost?
Anything else I should do like spark plugs, filters, etc?

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
get the belt changed soon. Try and find a small local mechanic by asking everyone which garage they use. I think it is better to use a local guy rather thsn s main dealer. If you phone the dealer they will give you a price and time needed to do the job, that will give you an idea of cost

ref.Autodata

Belt should be changed every 36000 miles or 4 years whichever occurs first.

Quoted labour time is about 1 hour

Change the plugs and air filter then you know they've been done.

;)

As it takes the same amount of work to get at it,I nowadays recommend changing the thermostat on Corsa's while the belt is off.Also,as you know little about it's history have a new coolant mix in.The corrosion proofing additives deteriorate after 2 years or so on most anti-freeze.

Sponsored Links
yes2mud said:
As it takes the same amount of work to get at it,I nowadays recommend changing the thermostat on Corsa's while the belt is off.Also,as you know little about it's history have a new coolant mix in.The corrosion proofing additives deteriorate after 2 years or so on most anti-freeze.

I dont know Corsa's but i always change the water pump as well if its in there and driven by the cam belt. I bought a V6 engined car and the guy said cam belt had been changed, this was a good sign as i had a bill for the work, 3mths later the water pump went so half the side of the engine had to come off again to get to it, if only he had done the pump at the same time it would of saved us 6hrs work!

ref.Autodata

Belt should be changed every 36000 miles or 4 years whichever occurs first.

Quoted labour time is about 1 hour

Change the plugs and air filter then you know they've been done.

;)

Hi all,
I think I must share my experience. The last time the timing belt was replaced on my car (Corsa B 1.4 Swing 1993) was in 2004, and I got it changed today. Meaning after 9 years! The car drive 36,000KM during these 9 years, mostly short distances, and was rarely driven for more than 1.5 hours at a time. But the car was used almost every day! I read on so many forums like this, that the timing belt for Corsa B should be replaced after 4 years in any case. Well, this is certainly not true. I may have driven easily for two more years, but just got it replaced for safety. By the way, I live in north of Norway, where average winter temperature is -10 C, and average summer temperature is +10 C. So my advice to those who have Corsa B 1.4 Swing, and do not drive the car for long distances, should not worry about changing the timing belt for at least 7 years!

However, when you do replace the timing belt, I suggest that you get these parts replaced as well
-Complete timing belt kit, and not only the belt!
-Fan belt/dynamo belt/serpentine belt (whatever it is called on your car)
-Thermostat
-Two Seals (front camshaft, and oil seal/axel seal) (not sure about the exact names of these seals, but ask the mechanic!)
-Coolant
-Waterpump

Good luck!
Massao

cost wise
1 join vxon and they have a trade club price which is less than trade price
or join VX for at least 15% for 3yr old any thing else is 25%

Timing belts are great things....they perform perfectly always - until they snap.
Do it yourself carnage kit when it does happen, in 99% of the times, and more often than not its replacement engine time.
Take yer chance at yer peril :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back