Changing a CU

AS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another question if I am not asking too many.

We have an Incoming mains (PME system), which splits to
1.storage heater system with meter and CU.
2.The other part of the split goes to normal meter connected to CU in main part of house then from a 30A rewireable fuse in this CU runs a cable to a MEM porcelain CU in the extended part of the house. This porcelain CU contains 1 of 5A lighting circuit, 3 of 15A each running to 1 double socket.

As the existing elec system ( re wired 10 years ago and passed PIR on purchase 10 months ago) seems to run in a haphazard way between the old part of the house and the newer part via a 2ft thick stone wall I would like to get it so the extension elecs go to one CU and the old part house elecs go to the main CU.
I would like to get all the elec in the newer part of the house running to an updated version of this porcelain CU.
I want to therefore replace / get replaced the porcelain CU and from this new unit have 2 of 6A lighting circuits coming off one of these circuits will be loo extraction fan and off the other a utility extract fan, 1 of 20A radial with 3 or 4 double sockets, 1 of 40 or 45amp RCD for shower (does this need a separate unit or can it be within the CU) as a non permanent feature I will need 3 of 16 A for the 3 double sockets as we have our entire house stored in this room and so can not get in to create 1of 20A radial for these sockets. Also I will need a temp 32A for the cooker, which we will remove eventually.

I therefore need

1 of 6A lighting circuit for 4 lights and extract fan
1 of 6A lighting circuit for 4 lights and extract fan
1 of 20A for 3 or 4 double sockets on radial (washing machine to use one)
1 of 40 or 45 A RCD for shower not installed yet but for future
3 of 16A for the 3 double sockets although may just disconnect these as not used yet and wait to create a radial in which case will get extra 20A instead
1 of 32A for existing cooker outlet

1.Does this sound correct?
2.What CU would you recommend, as there seems to be good ones and bad ones and supply specific ones - wylex/MK/contactum/Crabtree?.
3.The cable that connects the 2 CUs which runs from 30A fuse holder in the existing main CU to the new CU (replaced porcelain one) would presumably need upgrading big time - how would this work and what would need doing with this I do not intend touching this side of it as it seems far to scary but would like to understand what is needed.
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back