Changing a light to a security sensor light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I am in NZ and have an external rose fitting light that I want to adapt to a security light with sensor. The wiring (from its own switch) is BLACK and RED. There are TWO black cables (LOOPED) and ONE red.

The new appliance is earthed and with RED BLUE and YELLOW / GREEN) and with a metal surround with earth fitted to it.

I want to attach the new security light to the existing point but am unsure wether it needs to be earthed. The original fitting is plastic the new one is not.

Is the RED live? or BLACK? I am up with the play on the new colour system, but the existing cabling do not include an earth. I was fine until I read the instructions saying it MUST be earthed.

Thanks

Tony :oops:

Sponsored Links
Dunno about colours. An educated guess says that red is live and black is neutral, as per the UK, but you should test your wires to find out what you have got anyway, not rely on then having been done correctly.

One thing I can tell you though, as fundamental safety doesn't change from one country to another, if your new light needs an earth, and your lighting circuit does not have an earth, you must not use the new light.

Sponsored Links
Back