Changing a plug socket problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having real problems changing a plug socket. I have attempted to change a single white plastic one for a fancier chrome one. After much effort this attempt has failed, as once all wired up, I can’t seem to get the new socket to move back far enough within the plate box so I can then put the cover on. It’s like trying to force a melon through a letterbox. Having given up with the chrome socket, I am having a similar problem with the old socket, although it does get further back into the plate than the new one. There are three live cables and three neutral, plus the earth wires, which is a real headache getting them wired up in the first place, and I am guessing that the amount of wire and rigidity of them all is what is stopping the socket being flush with the wall. Has anyone had experiences of this sort of problem and can offer any advice (other than contact an electrician).

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you haven't trapped any of the conductors between the socket front and the lugs at each side of the backbox?

What size cables? What depth backbox?

I think it's that there are so many wires that it's creating a sort of net affect at the back of the socket. Will check the lugs though.

There's three 2.5mm cables. Not sure of the depth of the backbox, about a couple of inches.

Put a slight bend in the cables at suitable places before pushing the back box in - those points should bend more easily as you to push the box back flush.

Sponsored Links
There's not much slack on the cables, so I'm just about managing to get the wires into their relevant holes - too much movement results in at least one of the wires coming loose and popping free. But I will go and have another try using your suggestion of pre-bending them. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

too much movement results in at least one of the wires coming loose and popping free
eeepp...

you need to ensure that the cables are all installed correctly and that the screws are tight enough for this not to happen..

you might have to double over one of the cable ends to provide a "square" section for the terminal to clamp onto. ( IE 4 wires in a square rather than 3 in a triangle.. )

you don't mention whether the backbox is a metal one or if the wall is brick, but i'll asume it is..

it might pay you to change the backbox and move it a few inches to gain more slack on the cables ( unless they go in different directions )

Is this one of those flatter than normal sockets? and do you have a 25mm patress?

ColJack said:
you need to ensure that the cables are all installed correctly and that the screws are tight enough for this not to happen..

you might have to double over one of the cable ends to provide a "square" section for the terminal to clamp onto. ( IE 4 wires in a square rather than 3 in a triangle.. )

Like that idea, thanks. Only just reattached the old socket again after an other failed attempt with the chrome one, so didn't see your suggestion in time. The socket is working fine though and I screwed as tight as I could, so hopefully everything is ok.

you don't mention whether the backbox is a metal one or if the wall is brick, but i'll asume it is.
it's a metal one within plasterboard, not brick.

Adam_151 said:
Is this one of those flatter than normal sockets? and do you have a 25mm patress?

It is and I think it is a 25mm patress. . And I also compared the depth of the junction boxes and the new one and is definitely greater in depth, which I think is the problem.

Head banging.

if it's within plasterboard ( I'm asuming it's a stud wall and not just dot 'n' dab.. ) then you could change it for a deeper one easily.. or even a fast fix box..

get us a photo if you can.. mobile phone one will do..

It is stud, but I think I might just leave the old one, although I'm a bit scared to use it now. Learned a few new things today, though, which is always good (not sure what dot'n'dab is though, ha!). Thanks for your help and suggestions. The 4-wire idea is a keeper for the future.

i usually double over both when doing a normal ring.. it fills under the screw better and gives it more to hold on to...

dot 'n' dab is a method commonly used nowadays to add plasterboards to brick walls.. they put large dots 'n' dabs of adhesive on the wall and "glue" the plasterboard on..

it's faster and easier than regular plastering and requires less expertese to get looking good..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back