Changing alarm panel and keeping existing wiring in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is ok to install a new alarm panal and use the existing PIRs and contacts along with the the existing wiring.

Cheers:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
ADT did my Mum's that way - I did the original install, but 2 years later when the insurance co insisted on a system with maintenance contract etc, I just took out the panel and SAB that I had installed and ADT put theirs in using the existing wiring, contacts and PIRs.

Sponsored Links
I'd second Texecom.

Depending on how much you want to spend, and how fancy you want the system to be you have a few choices from the Texecom range. (best and therefore most expensive first)

1. Premier 24 (You will need to buy the keypad seperatly)
2. Veritas excel
3.Veritas R8 plus (Worth the £1 more than the basic R8 panel :LOL: )

Buy them online here

There is only 1 real problem with doing that. the age of the cables, if they are old (say 10+ years) then no.

its to do with any joints / connections, most new panels do not like high resistance (bad joints) these will cause you to have false alarms.

all joints should be soldered and sleaved, or in a screwdown connection

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back