changing bath/shower mixer 2 just shower mixer - help please

2 Mar 2004
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, can any of you knowledgeable guys just simplify this for me please - its an easy question for you Im sure.

I have a standard bathroom set up at the moment with a chrome bath/shower mixer on our bath (standard type that you pull the lever up and water comes out the shower spray or push down to fill a bath). My question is that I want to rip the bath out completely and install a shower cubicle there instead. Obviously I will then have no need for the bath/shower mixer and will need to replace it with just a shower mixer. Everything I read about shower mixers seems to say you can get a thermostatic shower mixer etc etc. I just want a bog standard shower mixer (similar to what I had on the bath - ie/ user has to turn the hot and cold separately to get the right temperature etc. Do these exist or will I have to upgrade everything to use a thermostatic mixer and get a pump installed etc etc etc)

I currently have a gravity fed system with large tank in airing cupboard next to bathroom and the cold tank in the loft but it has been raised quite high (not just sited on the loft floor like many houses) the flow rate we get currently is good (not sure about bars though)

Thanks gents
Sponsored Links
Firstly, if this is the only bath in your home, think about the negative effect on the value or the property regarding having no bath.

You can indeed get a manual mixer shower, that you may be able to feed from the existing pipework to the bath. The quality of the shower you will get, will depend on several factors, i.e. flow rate at pipe ends, water pressure etc.

You will need to buy a shower suitable for low pressure systems, I like the mira Gem 88, which is a manual mixer shower.

You could also fit a thermostatic low pressure shower.

Have you considered a power shower, which has an integral pump to boost pressure, and should give you a better shower quality?

Finally, the Trevi boost could be an option for you. You would need to change the cold feed to mains pressure, then the valve uses the mains pressure of the cold feed to boost the hot water pressure...

Lots to think about, but it's better to have lots of options than to be stuck with only one or two choices! :cool:
thanks for the info, and to answer ur question - no its not the only bath in our house, this is an en suite arrangement and I want the bath out of there and replace it with a flash shower cubicle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links