changing cooker socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am fitting a new kitchen in my friends house and he is going to change his free standing electric cooker for a electric oven/gas hob .The existing cooker socket has been damaged, my question is would it be ok to change the socket to 13amp double socket to plug the oven in to.The cooker socket is on a 32a mcb and fed by 6mm twin and earth.
any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As long as you can fit the cable in the outlets terminals. I would down grade the MCB to B16 though.
Are you aware of Part P of the building regulations and is your friend that trusting that he would accept someone altering his electrical installation without adequate knowledge and test equipment to ensure safety??

If i were you i'd use a single to double converter socket rather than dig out and replace the box, that way its easy to change back should the need ever arise.

thanks lads for your advice,he does intend to have a periodic inspection of the electrics would this cover part p rule ect.

Sponsored Links
Part P of the building regulations requires that if a 'competent person' who is not registered under the self certification scheme, carried out work in a special location i.e. a KITCHEN, then Local Area Building Control, MUST be informed BEFORE work commences. This is the law.

A competent person will possess knowledge of electrical installations he is working on and suitable test equipment to certify the installation on completion. A neon screwdriver is not considered suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back