Changing Euro Cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it to change the Euro profile cylinders on an external door ?

Sponsored Links
usualy very very easy
look for a single screw on the end off the door that lines up with the fin on the lock remove it
if you cant see it remove the plate covering the edge off the lock
insert key turn about a quarter turn complete lock should come out you may have to turn the key a bit more or less to line up the lever with the slot
if it still wont come out rotate through 180 degrees[1/4 turn the other way ;) ]

Just make sure that the replacement barrel doesn't prutrude more than a few millimetres beyond the door plate on the outside

Scrit

If you can, take the cylinder with you when buying the replacement, and ensure you get the same size. This assumes the current one is the correct size of course - as Scrit has pointed out, ensure minimal amount is showing on the external face.

Measurements are usually taken from the middle of the cam to the end of the cylinder, so a 40/50 is actually a 35/10/45 - where the 10 is the width of the cam.

Buy the best you can afford, as cheap Euro's are false economy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I want to replace the existing one in my patio doors and buy a new one to go in to a new front door that is shortly being fitted. My existing timber front door has a KABA 20 cylinder and I want to use the same again.

Kaba 20 - good quality lock.

however, it's unlikely you'll be able to reuse the cylinder in your wooden door if youre replacing with UPVC, as this is likely to be a 30/30 size - so you'll need to purchase a new one. If you're replacing with another wooden door, then you should be ok (this would be my choice - wooden over UPVC every day).

When you get the new door fitted, make sure the cylinder is the correct size as mentioned above, and ask them if they give you a choice of cylinder (unlikely).

My new door will be a GRP core door - looks like real painted hardwood but has a GRP core with high quality two pack PUR Acrylic top coat(Anglian Classic). Much better in my opinion that normal PVCu and quite a bit more expensive as well.

Having spoken to Kaba (UK) they recommend their KABA quattro 17mm Euro Profile cylinders. These will work with the new door and they can supply them 'keyed alike' for the new front door and the existing aluminium patio doors (Everest).

The present Kaba cylinder on the front door is a standard Yale type cylinder some 27 years old. When I gave Kaba the number on the existing key they did say they could make up new Euro Cylinders to match the existing key if a wanted which I thought was quite good after 27 years.

If it's the KABA Quattro S system, then the keys can be registered - so duplicates can only be obtained with written authority from the registered owner.

17mm sounds a little small. measure the depth of the new door, add on the depth of the handleset, and this will give you the approximate depth of the required cylinder.

Keying Alike is a good option if you don't like multiple keys that only open a single door. The downside is that if you lose a key, the entire security of your house is compromised - and you'll need to change all the locks, and not just one.

Quality doesn't come cheap though. Make sure they are fitted correctly, and that the locking mechanism (multi-point or Euro sashlock ?) is working correctly. Get hinge bolts fitted, and make sure the door frame is sound (this is often the weak point). This should keep the insurance happy.

The 17mm refers to the diameter of the key part of the Euro cylinder, not the width of the total cylinder. This is more likely to be 30/30 or 60mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back