Changing Motorised valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 3 position motorised valve has packed up on my Sundial Y Plan system. I have purchased a new valve to replace the old one. Does anyone know whether I have to drain down the whole CH system to swap the valve? The valve is located next to the HW tank in the upstairs airing cupboard. There is an isolation valve between the pump and the motorised valve. :(

Sponsored Links
Gererally you will need to drain down to a level below the valve.

Depending on the fault its sometimes only necessary to change the head which can often be done without draining.

Tony

Thanks for the speedy reply. Pardon my ignorance but I assume that the powerhead is the silver box that is attached to the 3 way valve?

Could the problem be with the motor within the powerhead? Is there an easy way to isolate the faulty component?

Sponsored Links
You are better off replacing the whole thing, providing you have easy access to the valve, you need to isolate the power supply first.
If your valve is a Honeywell, and there is a raised lump on the top of your valve, (near the power chord) then it does not need a drain down, if it is completely flat then you will almost certainly need to drain down.
Remember to write down or label any wiring you disconnect as there are quite a few, I do not wish to be patronising but I have made that mistake myself.

Good Luck

ps If your valve is not a honeywell, then contact the supplier or a good engineer.

The motor could well have failed.

You can measure its resistance and if its open circuit then its failed. Should be about 2K. Might also have seized up.

Its quite easy to change if you dont lose the tiny screws.

A magnetic screwdriver helps and a professional would spread out a sheet underneath just in case ( and have spare screws salvaged off old units. )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back