Changing plug on Thai 8 way gang socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
as the title suggests, I'm moving back from the land of smiles, laden with devices with 2 round plugs, so I brought a gang socket from Thailand with me, and now want to change the plug to a UK one.
The socket claims to be 10A Max, 250V

There are 2 wires: 1 Black and 1 Green. So all I need to know is this:

• Can I simply put a (12 A fused) UK plug on and all will be OK?
    Does it matter which way round the wires go?
    If it does, which way is it!!

Cheers and Happy XMas
James

Sponsored Links
we dont have 12 amp fuses, also does what you are bring back work on 230v ac, is it all compliant, double insulated?

is it worth you bring it all back? since if it goes wrong how can it be fixed? (wrong country for waranty to be valid)

what is it you are bringing back?

I'm connecting a laptop (Sony, bought in thailand), a mobile phone (Sony, also bought in Thailand), and an external hard drive (bought in New Zealand) so I believe it's all safe and compliant. i could buy new adaptors for all this gear, but, as well as being very expensive, this seems silly if the 8 gang socket plug can be switched over.
Please let me know.

the '8 gang socket plug' could be changed over but it may not be safe as it wont be upto uk standards.

the laptop PSU and harddrive probably have detachable leads in which case you would be better of replacing the leads, and get a new mobile charger! as these are all portable items that you are likly to carry around it may also be a better solution as you wont have to carry the 8 gang socket with you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, but......

There are 2 wires: 1 Black and 1 Green - Does it matter which way round the wires go? I don't want to get a :eek: !!!

as you have "univerals items" what does the lable on each say, i am thinking you may just be able to change each plug

breezer said:
as you have "univerals items" what does the lable on each say, i am thinking you may just be able to change each plug

..sorry mate, don't understand what you mean.
I have removed the Thai plug from the gang socket and want to put a fused UK plug on it. There are 2 wires, 1 black and 1 green. Does the BLack go to the Bottom Left and the Green to the Bottom right, or vice-versa?

forget what you are doing, answer this

what is the rating of each device? (as written on its label)

Thanks for your patience Breezer.
This should cover all you need:

Laptop:
Input: 100-240V~1.8A 50-60Hz
Output: 19.5V 6.15A

Hard Drive:
Input: 100-240VAC 50-60Hz 1.0A
Output: +12V 2.5A

I thought you was going to say that, since that makes them "universal" in that they will work anywhere in the world (when plugged in)

why not just cut the plugs off and fit UK standard plugs?, it will make life easier

Yes, I could - it would be even better just to go and buy new leads (as both of these devices have power supplies) - however, I want to be able to use the gang socket if at all possible.
Am I able to? And if so, which wire goes where!!! :confused:

images

have one of the above, we have them in the UK too.

I think you will find that no one will say put this wire here and that wire there becuse we are in the UK, and to be honest don't have a clue which wire goes where (all though i do have my own opinion)

also your lead will not be made to to our standards (which it wouldnt be since it was not made for here)

hence cut the plugs off the leads you have

its ok, what you do is up to you, but i really would cut the plugs off, it will be safer in the long run.

But you can't do that with the mobile charger!! :eek:

If all items are Double Insulated (square within a square symbol on casing) and universal voltage, plus have schuko (or similar plug on), then I don't think polarity is an issue.

If you knew which pin in a Thai socket was the live, you could match it up with the pin in the plug (if it only goes into the outlet one way) and work out which colour wire in the flex is connected to the corresponding pin in the plug. (If that makes sense...) If the plug can be reversed, I think polarity is not an issue.

Found this forum...try there!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67644&st=30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back