Changing Propane over to Oil, Condensing outlet problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a propane gas Glow worm 60 being removed (flued through sleeved chimney stack) and needing to be replaced by a conventional flued oil boiler, all open vented.

Of course the new boiler would be condensing. As the boiler is sited in a central position its fine getting oil but where do I drain the condensate? Is the bad new that the customer looses a kitchen unit to BF boiler instead to ease fluing and drainage.
Have I answered my own question??

Sponsored Links
Blimey, who's asking? Are you going to try and fit this yourself?

If you are going to fit a condensing oiler then the flue liner has to be updated to a special, smooth lined stainless liner. Rite-Vent do a GasTec tested one, Grant sell their own (which may well be Rite-Vent). This is probably the most important part of the job; be aware that the condense proof liner is far more rigid than an old Copex and is most unforgiving of bends and deviations.

We had to cut a chimney open top to bottom last year to get a 300,000Btu condensing 'flexi' liner down it. And because it is heavier and less flexible ladders aren't really an option.

The condensed water could be diverted into a condense lift pump if the siting prevents a normal drain. See Grundfos and Saniflo web sites for examples.

Flues..everything's about flue regs!
Sound comments, but I guess to be realistic if I can't do a through-the-wall it's gonna cost a mint!
Would there not be acid condensation on the cold stainless flue at start-up. I will look at the pumps but might go for under worktop simple option, with good drainage.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
mike2007wrote

Flues..everything's about flue regs!

because they are important and concern the SAFE OPERATION of the appliance.

Of course the new boiler would be condensing.

If you're installing oil fired the condensing requirement does not become mandatory till this April.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back