Changing sink waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for what might seem a really simple question, but I really hope somebody can help me.

I recently changed my kitchen sink from being an overmounted one to and under-mounted one. Because the sink intrudes into the base cabinet more than the last one, I'm having real problems trying to adjust the waste pipes to fit the new sink.

The photo below shows the current situation (white pipe is old, the grey is the trap for the new sink).

sink.gif

Essentially, there is a 56mm waste pipe at the bottom, which splits into two 40mm pipes - one goes off to the right for the washing machine, and the other stands up for the sink. To be able to fit the trap for my new sink in, I calculate that I need to get rid of as much of the upstand as I can. Problem is that all of the old pipe is solvent sealed, so I can't just pull the upstand out, and I can just cut as low as I can and put a 40mm right angle push fit on what's left, because I don't think I would get enough room.

I've considered cutting the 56mm waste pipe and effectively replacing the lot, but I can't find anything that reduces from 56mm to 40mm in any of the major DIY stores.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!

Sponsored Links
Forget the DIY sheds :evil: go to a plumbers merchant.....most are open sat. am, ;) Take the pic :idea: thanks for it.......worth a thousand words.:cool:

Nige is right, again!

BTW, why is there PTFE tape all over the ball-o-fix valve threads?

..... er ..... are you not supposed to use PFTE tape on these types of values?? :oops:

Sponsored Links
Bottom line - perhaps you didn't know any better, but you've put PTFE where it doesn't belong.

There are several schools of thought on PTFE, but, of the printable ones, the one that dominates (IMHO) is that you don't put it on the threads of a nut & olive compression joint - there's no point, it gets in the way, and looks amateurish - no offence meant.

If you're making on a BSP male-female connection, with or without a fibre or rubber washer to seal the end of the male part, then PTFE on the threads is one reasonably good way of decreasing the chance of leaks. Most of us don't rely on PTFE alone on an 'iron' thread connection though...

Cut it all out and use push fit connections, you will have it up and running in twenty minutes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back