changing the size of a hollow door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 old sliding cupbaord doors - they are the hollow type. They are coming off the cupbaord to be replaced by newer, better fitted sliding doors. I have another cupboard in a box room that needs doors putting on. It used to have doors, but were removed before we moved in! - they were definitely 'internal door width' i.e. about 40mm.

What I want to do, to save a few bob, is cut down the old doors to fit the new cupboard - is this possible?

Can I just cut down the length, then join a new peice of stripwood to the cut side? They don't have to look great, they will be painted with white gloss anyway. I could add a block in the space for the handle as well?

Is there a better way of making internal doors?

Sponsored Links
the old doors may well be made of ply or hardboard faces, with a wooden batten between them top, sides and bottom, and waffles of cardboard to fill the space.

If you cut the top off, you will probably be able to winkle the top batten off the bits of ply. Then you can push it into the hollow space at the (new) top of the cut-down door (the cardborad waffles will push out of the way) and glue or pin it into place.

These doors have almost no strength, but may hold together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back