changing UK plugs to Australian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:
Hi there..
I am new to this website..can anyone tell me how to change my plugs from UK to Australian..we are hoping to move there to live soon...although I'm not entirely stupid I know little about subjects such as wiring! My hubby would be doing this job but is there anything important we should know..?
Thanks!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
littlemisstidy said:
:confused:
Hi there..
I am new to this website..can anyone tell me how to change my plugs from UK to Australian..we are hoping to move there to live soon...although I'm not entirely stupid I know little about subjects such as wiring! My hubby would be doing this job but is there anything important we should know..?
Thanks!! :eek:
having an australian plug would help

Hi, It is very easy to change your plugs once you arrive in Australia.
Plugs are available in all Supermarkets and hardware shops.
Most have a diagram on the packet showing the colours used (same as the UK) the wire lengths for each colour and how much insulation to strip off the wires as well as the pins they should be connected to on the plug.
The Australian rules are a little different than the UK so the plugs don't have fuses in them. The Brown wire is normally called "Active" in Australia (rather than LIVE) so the pin in the plug will usually have a letter "A" beside that terminal the Earth (Green/yellow) an "E" and the Neutral (blue) a "N".
Very simple if you follow the instructions on the packet.
There are various plug types but the normal one isn't a side cable entry like in the UK but radial like the european plugs, though you can get side entry types if you want. Only thing you might need to know is that the standard Australain outlet is only 10A rather than the UK's 13A so heating devices rated about 2400W could cause problems if you really need those in Oz.
Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
:)
Thankyou Sparky that's great..just what I needed, a few 'handy tips', there are so many little details like that to find out.
Thanks again
Jackie x

you have to be very careful doing any diy electrical work in australia as it is illegal :eek: , i moved here just over a year ago and was told if you do any electrical work and it was not done by a licenced electrician you could wind up in court. Sparkys here make people think they are a cross between harry potter n god :LOL:

Back