Chasing copper pipe into the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll shortly be fittling a new bathroom and intend to tile from floor to ceiling. I would like to chase all of the piping into the wall and tile over the top. Can anyone think of any potential pit falls?

Sponsored Links
If the pipe work is plastered into the wall and not put into some kind of channel or in conduit from which it can be withdrawn for inspection then it contravenes the water regulations.

Copper pipe can be obtained which is coated with castellated plastic coating, this protects it from the corrosive effect of cement and allows some thermal movement. It is intended for use in underfloor heating though.

Burying fittings (tee's, elbows etc) is not a good idea.

If your house has solid brick walls then there is the risk of freezing if the hidden pipe work is not insulated.

If the pipe bursts or leaks the wall will become saturated and the tiles will fall off.

In the shower area, I would advise chiselling out a chase for the pipe work if the inner skin of a cavity wall is concrete / cement block, insulate it and tile over it. If the wall is solid brick I would suggest dry lining to hide the pipes. Use cement board in the shower or other wetted areas.

The biggest problem is hiding the drainage pipes. If they can not be run straight out of the wall behind the appliances or under the floor then go for fitted bathroom furniture and neat boxing.

Thanks for your reply brumylad. My walls are modern cavity contruction. You suggest insulating the pipework feeding my shower. What should I use as insulation? I'll be using a mixer shower so will have hot and cold feeds

Sponsored Links
Hi,

yep, could use plastic pipe, less chance of freezing or of bursting if the water does freeze.

If you go for copper I would insulate only if the pipe work is on an outside wall. I would use the old fasioned stuff which looks like horse hair and comes on a roll. It takes up less space, having said that if you decide to take the time to do a large chase go for modern foam.

Before applying the finish test the pipe work with ideally a hydaulic pressure tester (can be hired) or a least mains pressure.
Chasing out the wall can made easier with a light combi hammer drill on chiselling mode (can be hired). Using an angle grinder to define the sides of the chase is a nightmare. Dust like you wouldn't believe. I tried it only once.

True, but I would leave the space arround the pipe in the chase empty or filled with insulation, and cover the chase with plaster board etc.

To plaster the pipe into the wall is not really in the spirit of the regs.

I'm installing a 10.5kw shower on a bathroom wall. The wall is solid brick, and an exterior wall. Two things. Firstly I've read these posts above and am in two minds to use either lagging I have with copper pipe I have, or go and buy some plastic pipe. Are they much for a muchness? Secondly, I also want to chase the 10mm cable into the wall, I have some sheath for it, the way the cable goes into the shower unit means that it is lined up with the pipe. should the cable and pipe be in separate channels in the wall or if they are well insulated is it permissable to put them both in one?

Any advice appreciated.

Run your cable in egatube - the oval stuff, and put the 15mm copper in either overflow pipe or electrical circular tube, or 22mm pipe. The cement can't touch, the pipe can move, and you can clip the tube with the proper clips. There isn't a problem with modern plasters and copper, it's just cement.

No point that I can see in insulating it. If the wall gets to freezing point, its contents will too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back