Chasing LCD TV cables into wall and connecting power supply!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Please help!!

I've already scoured the forum but have had no luck in finding any info.

I've recently bought an LCD TV and want to wall mount it, i would also like to chase the cables into the wall, therefore concealing them (seems to be what everyone is doing nowdays).
The problem is i have limited electrical experience and was wondering how i connect the power supply and aerial, surely i do not leave these out at the end of the chase and then plug them into the closest available socket??

I'm sorry for the silly question, but i am still learning.

Any help, advice or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Wooks

:eek: :confused: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
how do the arial and mains leads connect to the TV?

for the mains if its a standard connector that plugs into the TV (ie you can cut a lead without destroying your only one) then i would cut the lead as short as possible and run it to a switched fused connection unit (make sure you get one with a cord grip in the correct side) just under the TV then run a spur from here to a socket on the ring using 2.5mm T&E

as for the arial we need to know what your current setup is regarding this before we can really advise on it

Sponsored Links
I don't beleive it is illegal and have posted my reply over on that topic.

Thanks Plugwash for the info.

Just to let you know, as part of the deal in purchasing my house, a full rewire was done to replace the old 50's rubber cabling.
With regards to the living room, this means that there are now double sockets, tv arial and telephone points on 3 corners of the room.

The wall with the fireplace which is in between 2 double power sockets and 2 tv arial points, is where i plan to place my tv.

As i am a beginner i will try and explain this the best i can. What i planned to do was chase the power cable (which connects to the tv as like a normal pc power connector), down the wall and to the nearest double socket, i also wanted to do the same with the arial (which cannot be removed from the tv) directly to the nearest arial point - next to my double power socket.

From what you have said Plugwash, can i run this arial to my arial point in the same way as the mains power (ie using a spur?).

Sorry for any ignorance.
I really want to try and do this myself so that i can learn a bit along the way.

Thanks again
Wooks

hmm it seems very very strange to have a arial cable fixed into the TV

i'd say you wan't to avoid fixing cables that are permanently attached to the TV into the wall

i'd say remove the arial point and fit a blanking plate with an arial plug and line socket behind it to link to your new arial cable then run to a new arial socket next to or behind the TV (depending on how much clearance you plan to have behind it.

sorry Plugwash - i got that totally wrong, both arial and mains power cable can be disconneted from the tv.

I was looking at the wrong information.

As a full rewire has been done, the double socket should be on the ring main, so you should be able to get a spur off that to supply an FCU behind the screen. Then snip the plug off the power wire for the TV and connect it into the FCU via its cord grip. If you go ahead burying the actual TV cable in the wall, you will have trouble if you want to move the TV later on. Also, not sure if this is to regs etc. Use trunking if you really dont want to mess with mains wiring.

With the ariel, depending on signal strength in your area, you should be able to tap into the back of the outlet plate (if it has 2 connectors), and run new co-ax up to the TV's position, where you fit a new TV outlet plate.

When you had it rewired why didn't you have sockets installed where you needed them?

Thanks a lot guys, you're advice has been great.

I'm now looking into using an RCU and spurring off the downstrairs sockets ring main. Thanks for the advice on not chasing the mains cable into the wall, this was my main concern in case i decided to move the TV at a later date.
I will check the arial connection and see if i can i can run a new co-ax up to the TV.

By the way, the reason i didn't put the sockets in the right positions during the re-wire was because originally i was going to rent the property out and was only really looking at a simple but effective layout, however, since work has gone on, i've decided to move in instead........the LCD TV idea was an after-thought i'm afraid!!
Besides i'm hoping i can learn a thing or two whilst doing this!!

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

Cheers
Wooks

Cheers mate, sorry i totally missed that!
Will use edit from now on.

Wooks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back