Checking an unfitted combi boiler for faults

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In a moment of madness I bought a ariston micro genus 2 wall hung gas combi boiler from ebay. Supposedly brand new and in the box.

Are there any quick and easy checks I can make to try to find any obvious/disastrous problems before I part with my cash?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to posters for making this a great forum.

James

Sponsored Links
well if you havent parted with your cash, you wont have the boiler, so you cant check it can you.

besides who is going to fit it for you? and will they fit a boiler you supplied?

I may be wrong but if you bought it on ebay you now have no choice but to be parted from your cash!

You need to check it is suitable for a UK installation, manual is there, correct gas type ie natural or lpg and has a ce mark. If the boiler is new and those are all in place and correct you should be ok in getting it fitted provided that the boiler is suitable for your property.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for all your replies, and here are my answers.

"well if you havent parted with your cash, you wont have the boiler, so you cant check it can you."
I would check the boiler when I go round to the persons house, before I part with my cash.

"besides who is going to fit it for you? and will they fit a boiler you supplied?"
I am going to rig up the boiler and rads, and get a corgi man to fit it up to the gas and commision. I have not picked a heating engineer to do this yet, so no idea if any will refuse to do this for a boiler based on make/model.

"I may be wrong but if you bought it on ebay you now have no choice but to be parted from your cash!"
AFAIK if the item is not as described, I call pull out of the deal. It is described as brand new, still boxed and working. Cash will be refunded if it doesnt work.

"You need to check it is suitable for a UK installation, manual is there, correct gas type ie natural or lpg and has a ce mark. If the boiler is new and those are all in place and correct you should be ok in getting it fitted provided that the boiler is suitable for your property."
It is a ariston micro genus 2 wall hung gas combi boiler. It is a model sold in the UK so I'd presume it has a ce mark. And yes, by reading about it and looking at the manuals/fitting instructions I have found on the net it looks perfectly suitable.

Thanks again

James

I would check the boiler when I go round to the persons house, before I part with my cash.

Gooooood...., and what can you check? You can't tell if it works, you can't see if bits are missing as you won't know what should be there.

You take the boiler away. You pay to have it fitted. It doesen't work.

"Oi! This boiler wot you sold me don't work!"

"Worked when it left here."

"Well it ain't workin' now! I want my money back."

"Look moosh, it was new when you took it. It's not my fault you broke it."

"I'm entitled to my money back!"

"Get a solicitor....."

etc, etc

Next, remember to apply for building control approval before you put the plumbing in. Heating is a controlled service and comes under building regs. Not doing so is a criminal offence. Any corgi engineer you employ is NOT allowed to sign for someone elses work. Only the building control officer can do that.

Why will people not learn that heating is a major capital investment that should last decades if properly installed, and yet they always try to skimp.

"Gooooood...., and what can you check?"
I have no idea, thats why I posted the question here. It has been suggested to me though in another forum to check the connections to be sure it hasnt been used. I wouldn't have thought of that unless I had asked the question.

"Next, remember to apply for building control approval before you put the plumbing in. Heating is a controlled service and comes under building regs. Not doing so is a criminal offence. Any corgi engineer you employ is NOT allowed to sign for someone elses work. Only the building control officer can do that."
I didn't know that, thanks for the advice, I'll chase this up.

"Why will people not learn that heating is a major capital investment that should last decades if properly installed, and yet they always try to skimp."
Well that may be the case for some people you have come across but isn't my main motive. I am interested in renovating my house in all the different aspects. I also would prefer to do a crap job myself and keep working at it until I get it right. The outcome of this is that I have learnt something new, and haven't run the risk of paying someone to do the job, and getting a very poor result.

Thanks

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back