chimney breast brickwork support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have an internal chimney stack. The builders opening is about 21 inches square. The lowest 30 inches of the left hand side of the opening needs new brickwork. How do I support the chimney stack while I take out the duff bricks?

The rear of the chimney breast projects out into the hall and it's occured to me that holes could be knocked out of both sides, a supporting strut put right through the holes, these being braced outside the brickwork on acrow joists. To make room for one acrow, I'd need to remove the hot water cylinder which is right alongside the firebreast in the hall.

I'd rather avoid this if possible and would welcome help on doing the job in a simpler way. Any ideas, please, anyone?

Sponsored Links
a bit tough to visualize bludger. you may need to get a pro round to have a look at that one!

Hi Noseall,

Yes, I know what you mean. I had trouble describing it clearly. I think I will get a builder round to look at it as the chimney stack is a major constructional feature of the bungalow.

Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back