Chimney Breast Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone - long time reader - first time poster. I need advice on the above. We had a loft conversion done , and included in the work I had the builde rput in an rsj to support the chimney stack at floor level in the loft. THe rsj is supported by the new rsjs for the floor and the interior structural walls of the house. The calcs were included in the plans that went to the BCO etc. and I got a party wall agreement that is still valid.

However to save money the builders did not go on to remove the chimney breast below, but now the time has come for me to do it. I have a few questions now as I would like to do it myself

Do you think I will need to get the BCO out again or is his inspection of the supports sufficient even though the breast below was still there? Obviously at the moment below the RSJ there is no direct support as bricks were removed, but deeper into the chimney it will still be supported on the breast.

How do I tell how thick the wall is between us and next door?

The chimney stack is shared - do you think I will find a common chinmey inside or a dividing wall? What is normal? (1900 semi detatched)

Once i have removed the breast and capped the pots, how should I seal the bottom of the flue? Simple board or does it need sealing? I have knocked a brick hole in the stack in the loft to allow ventilation.

I assume when removing the bricks I will find the breast is tied into the wall behind - do I just kango hammer these in half to leave as flat a finish as possible?

Sponsored Links
philnic said:
However to save money the builders did not go on to remove the chimney breast below, but now the time has come for me to do it. I have a few questions now as I would like to do it myself

Do you think I will need to get the BCO out again or is his inspection of the supports sufficient even though the breast below was still there? Obviously at the moment below the RSJ there is no direct support as bricks were removed, but deeper into the chimney it will still be supported on the breast.
Pop down to your BCO and they should have all the details of what's happening and what has been passed. For your piece of mind, their advice is free. The difference between the builders doing it and you is their insurance policy is covered if anything went wrong, your neighbour could sue you big time if the plan went wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back