Chimney letting in water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this is the right forum!

Recently the wallpaper in my lounge, where the chimney breast is has started peeling due to damp. I've took a guess that this is probably because water is getting down the chimney. How do I sort this out? I'm guessing that it will involve getting on to the roof and facing my fear of heights, but you gotta do, what you gotta do :D

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
BillyWhizz said:
Any advice?

dont jump

seriosly i dont think this is the reason, i would suggest the chimney is blocked, and its condensation that you have, get a chimney sweep in, and let him clean it first, also it will save you doing something you are frightened of

The fire is a gas fire and is broken. It hasn't been used in over a year. Would that make a difference?

you need a 2nd opinion, so please wait and see what others say,

but if its a gas fire, i always thought they have to put in a flue, so it cant be rain down your chimney

Sponsored Links
BillyWhizz said:
The fire is a gas fire and is broken. It hasn't been used in over a year. Would that make a difference?
Could do, you may need to remove the gas fire to circulate the air flow to dry it out and also check the chimney that have a roof cowling to prevent rain getting in. A regular fire keep the chimney dry, failing that check the flashing around the chimney breast.
Make sure you know what you're doing with gas fire, should be a isolation stopcock nearby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back