chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a victorian mid terrace with slate, purlin and rafter roof construction and ground floor is suspended timber. I wish to completely remove one chimney from floor to pot. It is not shared with the neighbour.

My approach would be as follows

1. Remove the stack to below roof level.
2. Extend end rafter over what was previously the chimney stack
3. Patch the hole in the roof.
4. Insert concrete lintel into the inner skin of the loft wall at approx
1st floor ceiling level (across what would have been the chimney) due
to the proximity of a roof purlin.
5. In the 1st floor bedroom insert trimming joists (7x3) pocketed into
the wall one end, attached on joist hangers to next full joist on the
other end)
6. In the ground floor room in what was the old grate insert dpm and fill
with concrete in order to support a new full length treated c24 7x3 joist
7. Obviously between all these stages i will be removing the masonry that
constitutes the chimney breasts.

Can anyone advise me if this can be done at all (re roofline), any problems with the method, planning/building permission etc etc

Sponsored Links
andy9000 said:
any problems with the method, planning/building permission etc etc
Yes and no,they normally advise you for structural survey,best to ring them for further information.

I would think before removing a chimney, it may give more space with it gone, but I see plenty of people in houses without chimneys who wish they had one. They are good for ventilation and for an alternative source of heat, when the other one breaks down.

Thanks for the responses.

Masona - can you elaborate on what you refer to when you say yes and no w.r.t potential problems with the method. I am trying to reduce costs
and don't understand the need for a structural report. How does a chimney in this configuration (equidistant from ridge and eaves, one on each pitch) affect the structure ?

Oilman - for me the space benefits far outweigh the aesthetics of a chimney breast . The one I want to remove is completely bricked up so I can't see that it provides any ventilation. What do you imagine the breakdown of my other chimney might be ?

Sponsored Links
andy9000 said:
Masona - can you elaborate on what you refer to when you say yes and no w.r.t potential problems with the method. I am trying to reduce costs
and don't understand the need for a structural report. How does a chimney in this configuration (equidistant from ridge and eaves, one on each pitch) affect the structure ?
See this. Also pop down to your local planning department for a free advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back