Chimney vent in bedroom, OK to block with fire downstairs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a chimney breast in the upstairs front bedroom which has been blocked/sealed up in the past. A small ventilation grill was in put in place when this done.

We would like a gas fire downstairs directly below the bedroom. Should I be worried about the possibilty of fumes coming into the upstairs bedroom.

I took the bedroom ventilation grill off to have a look and feel around. The inside of the chimney opening seems very small to me compared to the width of the chimney breast.

Am I right in thinking that the bedroom has its own flue inside of the chimney stack and the living room its own flue inside the stack? If this is the case does this mean I have no worries about fumes coming into the bedroom. Furthermore, I can replace the grill for damp prevention etc.

Since the house was built some time ago there's the chance that solid fuel was burnt in the past. Therefore as advised I will be getting the chimney swept. Assuming the separate flue construction should I get the bedroom flue cleaned as well? Can this be done with just a ventilation grill/hole in place.

Will doing a smoke test from the downstairs opening be a good indication to the possibilty of fume leakage in the bedroom.

You thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Taz

Sponsored Links
that site just about sums it up, in theory they should both be seperate flues. Yep do a smoke pellet test and if in any doubt drop a liner down, and I don't mean the QE2. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back