Circular saws with adjustable depth of cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

This may sound a bit simple but I'm looking for a bit of advice. Do ALL circular saws come with an adjustable depth of cut? When I look at the more expensive models they mention maximum cut depth but not an adjustable depth of cut.

On the other hand many of the cheaper ones specifically mention this. The makers web sites offer little more information.

Cheers,

Jack

Sponsored Links
mine can, its a cheap one from q & B, there is a little "guide" all that it does is move up or down (with nut to hold in place)

I have a hitatchi C7U 7 1/4" It can!!

Sounds promising, maybe it's likely that they all do, unless someone can disprove it.

I'll need to use it for cutting into chipboard, will a cheap one suffice? If so what warranty did yours have breezer?

Do with of you have any problems with your saws, is there anything that could be better? Still deciding whether to go pro quality or throw-away price!

Sponsored Links
We use the term "disposable tools"! Mine cost €175 incl. VAT (approx £100) No problems (I only use it for fairly light DIY use). If you are cutting chipboard, you might be advised to go for a better model or at least a good blade, as chipboard is considered to be the most severe material on the blade. Also ensure that your blade is TCT (tungsten Carbide Tipped) most now are.

can't remeber how long its waranty is :cry: but i would consider how often you intend to use it V quality

obviously if you only have a few jobs to do get a cheap one, if more then quality lasts

mine is over 1 year old but i really dont use it that much (still going strong despite all the "abuse" it gets)

mine was so cheap its not even on the diy website (or screwfix come to that)

I recently bought a cheapo B&Q Power Pro "Compound sliding mitre saw with laser". Not quite what you were referring to, but it's still essentially a circular saw. Now, I looked at all sorts of quality stuff (which I tend to go for), but for £129 and a 3 year warranty, I thought I'd give it a go. It certainly doesn't have the build quality as Bosch, Makita, etc., and it took me ages to set it up to be accurate. Two components have already broken, and bits keep falling off, but a quick phone call to their helpline, and replacement parts have appeared.

At the end of the day, it does it's job, and it does it OK, so I suppose fair enough. But would I buy it again? Probably not. I would save up and buy a better quality one in the hope that cut-price, cheapo quality components wouldn't break, and I wouldn't waste so much time in having to check the setting it up. Fortunately, I don't use it that often. If I was using it daily, I'm not sure it could handle it - and neither could I.

Handyman said:
I recently bought a cheapo B&Q Power Pro "Compound sliding mitre saw with laser". Not quite what you were referring to, but it's still essentially a circular saw. Now, I looked at all sorts of quality stuff (which I tend to go for), but for £129 and a 3 year warranty, I thought I'd give it a go. It certainly doesn't have the build quality as Bosch, Makita, etc., and it took me ages to set it up to be accurate. Two components have already broken, and bits keep falling off, but a quick phone call to their helpline, and replacement parts have appeared.

At the end of the day, it does it's job, and it does it OK, so I suppose fair enough. But would I buy it again? Probably not. I would save up and buy a better quality one in the hope that cut-price, cheapo quality components wouldn't break, and I wouldn't waste so much time in having to check the setting it up. Fortunately, I don't use it that often. If I was using it daily, I'm not sure it could handle it - and neither could I.

I bought the same Performance Power Pro saw in Feb 2003, I has been used frequently on Laminate, aluminium door bars, 18mm mdf, plastic conduit, variety of softwoods and mahogany.
So far it has proved worth every penny. I had previously been using a makita sliding compund mitre but had to give it back.
I have noticed little overall perofmance difference between the two saws.

Admittedly i have had to sharpen the blade a few times with a diamond file but that is true of any saw and have also had to clean the bushs.

I would buy it again.

Being a plumber I need a small diameter saw to cut deep into boards. B&D 5 1/4" with tc blade. £30. Used it and used it ... It bends a bit but keeps going. I do have some £350 tools, but I think the economics are hard to justify, unless a tool does something a cheap one doesn't. Not the case with circular saws, generally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back