Clarity before order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to order some light switches to replace the current grubby white plastic ones that are currently there and I'd appreciate it if someone can confirm what I'm ordering is OK.

The setup is as follows;

• A hall with one light at the bottom of the stairs and one light at the top.
  • A single switch at the front door which ONLY operates the downstairs light.
  • A double switch at the end of the hall downstairs which operates BOTH the downstairs and upstairs lights.
  • A single switch at the top of the stairs which ONLY operates the upstairs light.
I was going to order the following;

• 2 x 1-Gang, 2-Way
  • 1 x 2-Gang, 2-Way

Sponsored Links
no.

the way i read it you have 4 switch positions but only 3 switches

i make it

1 gang 1 way x1

2 gang 2 way x 1

1 gang 2 way x2

but you can use a 2 way switch as one way

Your list sounds fine. Don't know where Breezer got his fourth switch from.

To be absolutely sure you could cut the power and have a look at the back of your switches. 2-way switches have three terminals each, 1-way have two, and intermediates have four.

OK. So the 2-gang 2-way is obviously the one for the bottom of the stairs which controls both lights. Which single switch is the 2-way and which is the 1-way?

Also, Screwfix don't sell a 1-Gang 1-Way light switch in the finish I want, but they do have a 1-Gang 2-Way, can I use this instead?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back