Clean & Dirty Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Again Guys,

Had a spark around this morning to take a look at my existing wiring, i thought i just needed to replace the three ancient distro boxes with a nice new split load consumer unit and MCBs. Apparently i need a full rewire due to the lack of earthing in my lighting circuit. Better for me in a way because i can handle starting from scratch myself so don't have to pay spark for anything else. I have ALOT of computing equipment in my attic home office and use surge protectors & UPS's to protect them from surges and power outages. Now for the question. Is there any way i can lay a 'Clean' ring to run these devices? I have seen this at my workplace but no sure how they do it?

Thanks In Advance
Jamie

Sponsored Links
If you install MEM units you can put individual protectors on per circuit. They are called TVSS. Mr. Lighting has some in his installation (see http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/RFLighting/mems.jpg ). They are the red things. I have an idea they retail at about £30 - £40 each. Of course, between the CU and the appliance, the circuits will pick up more noise from lightening, fridges, mobile phones, fluorescent lamps, EMPs from nuclear bombs, etc. Screened cables at great expense will help.

you might consider protecting your room with the equipment in with metal mesh, and having the UPS inside it. Look up "TEMPEST screening" on google.

Clean earths are just that - direct from CU to equip. If you run a dedicated circuit for the equip, you have a clean earth on it.

I would be more inclined to mention "High protective conductor currents" - search the forum ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers Guys! I now understand (ish)! My CU is a contactum one so bits i need probs not available :( Think i'll be sticking to my Belkin All In One 500VA UPS/Surge Protectors.

Thanks Again
Jamie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back