Cleaning decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to clean some decking that suffering from Mildew and general wear and tear. I've been advised diluted bleach is a good solution but then others have said that's rubbish. I've seen some products such as Net-trol. Any views?

Sponsored Links
Much of the moulds that grow on decking are short daylight plants and grow well in the winter months. Now the weather is better and the days are longer you can clean the deck of all the winter dirt etc.

You can buy ready to use deck cleaners which are heavy in phosphates but can be expensive. Bleach when released turns into chlorine gas and is not good for the environment and not very efficient either. I use 'Stardrops' which is a traditional all purpose detergent in a hose end sprayer. I dont like to use pressure washers as they can cause stripping, destroy pointing and use an awful lot of water. The hose end sprayer attaches to a hose pipe. you put the stardrops into the bottle and it dilutes as you spray. no buckets. If you spray the detergent over the deck and leave it for a few mins to 'work' then scrub it with a stiff broom and rinse off it'll come clean. Wood changes colour with age as the sunlight degrades the lignum in the wood. it goes grey so dont expect it to look 'new'.

Buy stardrops form some supermarkets or a diy shop and a hose end sprayer from website www.superspray.co.uk this sprayer will dilute car shampoo too so its great for car and caravan washing. I use Stardrops for that too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back