Cleaning PVC gutters bargeboards etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a quote for £100 to clean the guttering and bargeboards, or whatever they are called, on my house. It is probably not unreasonable as it is a fairly large, 5 bedroomed house but I can't afford it.

I would, therefore, like to clean it myself but I don't know what are the options for access, particularly as I have a single storey extension, with a sloping roof, in the middle of the back wall which would make it difficult to use a ladder.

The person who quoted would have used a pressure washer I think. What I want to do is clean it with a cloth and soap and water as I do with the ground floor. It always wipes clean without a problem. Is there something I could hire which would allow me to safely access the top? If so, would the cost be so much that I might as well pay somebody else to do it? I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
"cherry picker" or scissor lift........will cost, but sod using ladders ;) most hire shops have them now and will instruct on their use. ;)

Thank you Nige. Now I know what to ask for I think I will give it a go. If I do it myself at least I will know it is done properly.

£100.... why hesitate. Is it worth the hassle and danger. A quatro-bend ladder will cost £120.

If ur cleaning PVCu try CIF (once called JIF) Better than stores PVC cleaner, easier than solvent based cleaners. Power washing will not clean off deep grained muck off PVC. Supermarket own brand is cheaper, but use the white one not the lemon flavour.

Sponsored Links
The problem with using an abrasive paste like Jif, is that it can cause the plastic to get dirtier quicker afterwards.

The quote would depend on if it is a quick wipe with a sponge, or a proper clean to bring faded and grey plastic back up to white?

Can't the Op just buy one of these long poles with a sponge on the end, as sold for reaching windows?

You certainly don't want to be using a pressure washer :eek:

Thank you all. Well, now I've got something to think about! It is now almost a year since I first posted my enquiry and the gutters have still not been cleaned. I couldn't decide what to do and, before I knew it, Winter was upon me and nothing got done.

The gutters are now blacker than ever. I had been thinking that I must get in touch with the chap who would clean them with a pressure washer but now somebody says that a pressure washer will not get them clean if they are that bad. Oh dear.

I think that Cif would be a problem. I use it a lot in the kitchen and I think it is brillliant stuff - far better than any of these wishy washy spray things. The only thing is that it takes a lot of rinsing off. I think this would account for somebody saying that they get dirtier afterwards when you use Cif. If there is residual cream left the dirt would stick to it.

I am now fast coming to the conclusion that the only way to be sure that it is done properly is to do it myself - even if the equipment costs as much as I would pay somebody else. I favour just wiping with soapy water which is what I do with the downstairs part.

Thank you all very much for your input. I was surprised to get another reply after such a long time but, as I still haven't done anything yet, it was very welcome.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back