cleaning roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to clean my roof space, lay down insulation and lay boards down for storage - the prob is judging by the spiders webs I don't think anyones been up there since the house was built in the 1950s. I tried to clean a part with my hoover and nearly broke it as there's thick splinters of wood and the dust is inches thick - i'm only able to balance between the rafters as there's only the plasterboard from the ceiling below on the floor part. i live in a dorma house so want to get insulation down the sides of the roof too but only have approx 5" max space to put the insulation down to over 5 meters below - can anyone recormend how i should start this? :?: I've also heard that in Scotland you can get subsidies for insulating your house - is this true and where do you apply? :D

Sponsored Links
You can either buy an Aqua-Vac (and get some of the paper bags as the dust will clog and fill the filters) or your hire shop will have a big industrial canister vac, like an oil drum on wheels. they are quite heavy (especially when full) so take care it is on a firm board in the loft. I would also try to empty it into plastic sacks before you carry it down the ladder, as you might drop it.

I hope your loft is felted otherwise it will fill up with dirt again surprisingly quickly.

As for insulation subsidies - contact your Gas and Electricity suppliers - they will probably have an energy-saving department. There are other contractors too but unless you have a personal recommendation you won't know who's good. I had mine done by a contractor from Brit Gas; and I have worked for many years for various electricity companies (including possibly yours ;) if they are in Perth) and they are usually very careful to do a good-quality job and improve their reputation. You can also do it yourself, it is not difficult, just hot and dirty work. But buy some loft flooring panels to stand on or you will fall through.

Don't go for blown foam or shredded paper insulation in the loft. Ask about cavity wall insulation too if you have them.

Bet it`s not felted....but done with sarkin boards.........so I understand from a Jock chippy ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back