Cleaning up a rusty cast iron wood burning stove

Sponsored Links
Best ask the manufacturer.
They probably sell heat-resistant stove paint which is usually very thin. Clean off the rust before repainting.

If the rust is slight use wire wool. If it is VERY slight use a nylon pan scourer. If heavy, a brass wire brush - manual or in a drill or dremel depending on how much. The brush will probably mark the casing and it will show through the paint (hence wire wool or brass brush) so do it as lightly as you can.

If it's bad enough, shot blast and repaint. But take the glass out first.

Sponsored Links
as before with wire wool then stove paste/blacklead/zeebo

I did this to a Squirel, that had been out in a garden for some years... Started with getting the doors off by soaking with WD40 and very light taps with a little hammer then used electrolytic de rusting ( http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm) to get the air controls working... the glass is about £20 all bits are available but doors etc are very expensive (small one was £80!)

I have just put a morso squirrel stove in. It was in a bad way and looked like scrap. The good thing about this stove you can take the insides out. So you are just left with the shell.
I had to retap all the threads. Weld the frame square (welding cast) and remove the old boiler. To clean it up I used a wire brush on a drill and most of my Saturday. I used a standard stove black. It took some time to get it looking new again. Inside I went round with fire cement to re-seal the joints. I has to purchase new fire bricks, and asbestos rope for the door and ash pan door,a metal plate that fits in the top and new brackets to hold in the cast grills at the front. Total renovation cost probably £200.00. Parts baught from Robeys in Belper. It works great now and burns wood or anthrasite. It was worth it when you see it burning away.
I could easily boil a kettal on it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back