cleaning wooden floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We sanded and stained our victorian pine floor and then lacquered it using acrylic lacquer (apparently this is commonly used for parquet floors). It looked great until we did some decorating and generated a lot of fine dust (from rubbing down plaster walls etc). This settled into the grain of the wood and doesn't seem to come out. Are there any products/techniques which would help to shift it? We tried damp cloth etc., but it seems to leave the wood looking dull, perhaps because we are in a hard water area, not sure. If anyone knows of a good polish or something similar that would be very welcome...

Sponsored Links
I was just on the internet yesterday searching for the best way to clean hardwood floors. Mine are 3 years old. I found a website that said to use Dawn dish detergent and COLD water to clean. This will remove grease and grime and then use 1/4 cup of white vinegar to 1 gallon of COLD water. They said WARM water dulls hardwood floors. I don't know if this helps. I am trying it this weekend. I was always using warm water.

dish detergent - is that like washing up liquid? I'd be interested to know what your results are like

Benm,
I forget we are in different Countries. Dawn is a liquid we use is the USA to wash our dishes. It is mild. I will let you know how they look after the process. The vinegar and water is to rinse the floors.

Sponsored Links
if it works you can buy dawn dish soap on the net see here

dont suppose that includes shipping to the UK though.

while searching for it i also found out dawn dish soap is recomended for a lot of stains, but that it also contains alchool

I have some recommendation in my mind about ways to clean wooden floor.
Choose the right cleaning agent then Dilute your chosen cleaning agent in a bucket of water and Mop your floor with the chosen cleaning solution and Spot-clean tough areas with a cloth after that Use the mop to soak excess liquid off the floor and Rinse the floor with the clean mop and Buff the floor dry with terry cloth

MOD: A 16 year old thread really doesn't need a reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back