Cleft oak post and rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up this fence. It's a cleft oak post and rail (2 rails with 12 vertical pales per bay attached top and bottom to the rails). One way to economise would be to replace the green oak dowels that fix the pales to the rails with screws or nails fitted from the back. I know it's a shame and after using such great materials why cheapen it with metal but... Anyhow, do you think galvanised screws or an air-powered nailgun is the answer? I'm skating at the edge of my competence. :oops: The fence is 500 yards long. Ouch!

Sponsored Links
CC
go with the galv screws they will pull the pailing tight up to the rail , but you might have to drill pilot hole to stop the oak splitting around the screw.
Oh yeh get the batteries charged for the drill thats a lot of screws over 500 yards.
best of luck.

Thanks for that fencer. Just a thought, but because screws are hardened is there a likelihood of heads dropping off in very hard frosts? Got a lad working with me at the moment who says he's seen that happen once. Should I go for coach screws?

I tend to use decking screws all the time now, designed for hard outdoor uses.
Never heard of screw heads comming off in a hard frost, could happen I suppose if it's cold enough.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back