Climbing Plants from a Pot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if someone can help me, i'm building a deck and having trellis on the 2 side of it, now one of these side will be on concrete. But the deck will have a good 8" from this as it will be rasied a little. Now will climbing plants grow in pots, or maybe i can make like window boxes that will slide under the deck. If someone has any other ideas, that would be appricated.

Sponsored Links
we have several climbing plants in pots (russian vine) they grow very well, but they are big pots

Sponsored Links
Hightowermark said:
Ok thanks, can i ask how big they are.

the pots or plants?

every year the plants "die" so we trim lots back, they are about 6 foot long and 1 foot wide (any more we cut them back)

the pots are about 2 foot across and about 18 inches deep

mind you about 4 weeks ago i cut the bottom of one pot off so the plant can now root into the ground, its thinking about it

I has russian vine in the ground and they are fast growing (mile a minute, I think that was the name), so having them in the pot might not be too bad.

I'll agree with masona. If planting "Russian Vine", keep it in a pot. Otherwise you have a nice plant on Monday, by Wednesday you've lost your garden !!!

c'mon its not that bad, we also have one not in a pot,its doing very well

I've got a few clematis plants in pots, all doing well! If you chose ones that flower at different times of the year you get blooms from spring to autumn. They need to be 'chopped' (ok, pruned, but I tend to do it when I'm in a bad mood, so 'chopped' seems more satisfying!) at different times of the year so check planting instructions or any basic gardening book. If you don't prune them the only penalty is that the flowering part of the plant gets higher and higher up each year. (I've done this on purpose with a 'Miss Bateman' (large white flowers) so that I don't get leaves tickling the back of my neck when I sit inthe rocking chair I've got postitioned near its base...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back