Clio starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this problem I'm having with my car (2000 Renault Clio). It has failed to start 4 times in the past few weeks. One time after it wouldnt start (i tried several times) I went away and left it for about an hour, and when I came back it started fine. The other 3 times i had to jump start it. When I try to start it, theres usually a small clicking noise, it sounds like the engine starts to turn over for a split second then dies.

My dad has a battery recharger thing where you connect the battery to the mains power supply, so i borrowed that off him and put it on overnight. The next day, when i tried it at first it started fine, but later in the day when i tried it again it wouldn't start at all (i hadnt actually driven the car since it was recharged - I just started it to see if it would work).

Then yesterday i drove a 150 mile journey to pick something up. When i went to start the car to go back (about 5 minutes after stopping the car after this non-stop 150 mile journey) it wouldnt start. I had to get a jump start again -which worked fine. And then when i got home, i tried to start the car again just to see if it would work, and it did. It seems to be totally random when it will start and when it wont.

Im not sure whether my battery is faulty, my alternator, or something completely different. Am I right to think that since jump starting works fine, my problem must be battery-related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I think you need a new battery, any decent garage will check this for you, quite cheaply.

by the sounds of it I had a very similar problem with my clio (it was a late MkI but had the new 1149cc engine in it).

Mine would refuse to start for no apparent reason and made a clicking sort of noise when i tried. After many visits to the garage (not the mechanics fault - everytime i took it there it started fine!) a visit finally coincided with a refusal to start. The mechanic pressed the fuel cut off reset switch and the car started fine so thought just a new switch was needed.

However, problem kept happening although hitting the switch seemed to work MOST of the time. Mechanic finally put some sort of computer on the ECU (i think) and it turned out that I had got a small amount of water on the crank sensor which was preventing a decent spark. He simply cleaned it out and resealed it and the car was fine again! (although i have sold it now so dont know if there have been any more probs!)

Hope this helps...

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise you could get your battery checked for free. Well, I just went to kwik fit to get it done and I needed a new one, as i thought.

Hopefully that's the problem solved - it has been fine starting so far. Thanks for that info though, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Back