clip cable to joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question:
I am installing a new ring final circuit (LABC notified). Rather that have the building inspector poo-poo my work, thought I had better check I was doing it right.

At two points in the circuit, a cable goes from one side on the lounge to the other via the ceiling. It runs in parallel with the joists. I installed it by lifting a floor board at each side of the room above and poking the cable across with a long rod. The cable is therefore not therefore supported along this length (approx. 3m) except by the plasterboard ceiling. Is this OK? If not what is the suggested way to deal with it? I have no loose floorboards in the middle of the cable run.

I know that where cables pass though joists they need to go via a hole in the middle. If I have the situation where there are a few cables in a hole and it would be tight to get another it, will I get picked up on that?

Sponsored Links
I doubt the inspector will expect you to rip up every floorboard to clip the cable to the joist but you might want to phone and ask because some of them are frumpy gob-****es.

Do not try to squash too many cables through a single hole. Just drill a new one (no less than 3 hole diameters apart).

On-site guide page 100, point 5, says that this is OK:

"For sheathed and/or armoured cables in horizontal runs which are inaccessible and unlikely to be disturbed, resting without fixing on part of a building, the surface of that part being reasonably smooth."

I am using 2.5mm2 T+E, does this count as sheathed?

Have been trying to ring my building inspector, he is rather difficult to get hold of, hence the questions here. Tried 3 days last week, will continue next week also....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back