Cold Calling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I'm developing business with trade customers and one of the obvious methods is cold-calling businesses and asking them to consider using us a supplier (we're a plant hire company).

Bit of a longshot, but I'd appreciate the help as I've got no real sales "pitch" experience, and certainly not cold-calling.

What works for any of you?
When's a good time to call?
What's a good follow up? (Call again, cards, website...etc??)

Any tips appreciated - guess you were all in my position once, or maybe you're currently hammering the phone?!

Conor

Sponsored Links
I believe you will have to register with the telephone preferance service, so you know who not to call.

i understand whay you are doing it but you will be the verbal equivilant of spam

I know theres strong enforcement by the TPS to protect private/consumers, but it's a bit hazy when it comes to business to business contact.

I want to introduce our company and invite other businesses to consider using us in future, and maybe allow us to quote.

I know this happens thousands of times a day across the country (reps establishing new leads etc.) - so what's different about what they are doing?

put it this way, how many calls do you get / day offering a service?

what do you do when you get them?

its annoyinmg and time wasting (in my opinion)

if i want something i go out and find it, then compare a with A and see who / what i like best

have you got a website?

(no dont tell us what it is, it will be advertising which is against the rules)

Sponsored Links
DiggerBoy said:
Not calling me.

Never.

What's a good follow up?
n/a

Sorry to be so negative Conor, but on principle I don't buy anything from companies that cold call. This is because they're generally a bunch of liars. Here's an example of one I had a couple of years back:

Salesman: Hi, is that the owner of the business?
Me: [Suspiciously, for I know what's coming] How can I help you?

Salesman: I'd like to explain how I can help you.
Me: Hang on - are you about to try and sell me something?

Salesman: No. Can I just explain?
Me: Hang on - do you want to engage my services?

Salesman: No. If I could just...
Me: And you don't want to sell me anything?

Salesman: No. But I...
Me: So let me get this straight: this is a business call, but you don't want me to buy anything, and you don't want me to provide you with anything?

Salesman: That's right.
Me: Well f*** off then.

Tell you what though, it would take me longer to hang up if someone called me and said, unashamedly, "I'd like to sell you a <name the product> because that's my job". That would be refreshingly open and honest.

Find the name of the owner or head of the department that would use the service you provide and write to him or her with an accurate name, title and address. That shows you have done your research.

List your services and maybe include mention of a hire that is typical of that person's responsibility.

Say why you company is different from your competitors.

Make the letter brief and easy to read. 20 lines at the most.

Including a self address and stamped post card with a couple of survey questions has been useful in judging reaction.

Then follow up with a phone call 7 to 10 days later ( afte it has arrived allowing 2 days for the post.

DiggerBoy said:
Any tips appreciated - guess you were all in my position once, or maybe you're currently hammering the phone?!

Conor

Get invited for any networking group in your area (BNI, Chamber of Commerce, other groups), have your 'pitch' ready, business cards ready and great success stories at the ready.
WOM can start there.

Thanks all for the suggestions - I know calling businesses in the area may not be popular, but my customers don't necessarily use Yellow Pages, or websites. I of course use both for advertising our services, but my point is that I need a stronger network of business customers. Mates of mates, referrals etc are all critical, but I have to start somewhere, like a lot of you established and successful guys did.

So the general view is that it's a bad thing - fine, that's not surprising. My concern is that by never considering what new suppliers might be offering, you rule out a load of good, honest suppliers who could maybe save you a money, or introduce you to new services you could be offering your customers. I know that I have introduced 3 new profitable services as a result of new suppliers contacting me directly via unsolicited phonecalls. I can usually get a feel within a few seconds whether I'm being scammed or if someone is offering something mutually beneficial.

Freddy's Twin,

Very constructive, thank you. Like many people on here, I'm trying to run my own business in the construction/trades sector. I spend every available hour of the day building it up to being able to support myself.

Just to make life easier, what "proper job" did you have in mind for me?

Sincere thanks to the rest of you.

DiggerBoy said:
My concern is that by never considering what new suppliers might be offering, you rule out a load of good, honest suppliers who could maybe save you a money, or introduce you to new services you could be offering your customers.
You're missing something here. I'm only speaking for myself of course, but I don't want any new suppliers - I want my existing suppliers to prosper and continue to provide me a good (or even better) service. They won't get better by me taking my business elsewhere.

Softus said:
DiggerBoy said:
My concern is that by never considering what new suppliers might be offering, you rule out a load of good, honest suppliers who could maybe save you a money, or introduce you to new services you could be offering your customers.
You're missing something here. I'm only speaking for myself of course, but I don't want any new suppliers - I want my existing suppliers to prosper and continue to provide me a good (or even better) service. They won't get better by me taking my business elsewhere.

If you're talking about plumbing supplies then i can only assume you don't shop at one of the major stores?

I also hate cold callers, but when its specific to your work and business not just some double glazing salesman, then whats the harm in listening to the offers. Softus if a Rep tries to speak to you one day at the trade counter obviously trying to sell you something would you tell him to f*** off aswell...

Softus said:
DiggerBoy said:
Not calling me.

Never.

What's a good follow up?
n/a

Sorry to be so negative Conor, but on principle I don't buy anything from companies that cold call. This is because they're generally a bunch of liars. Here's an example of one I had a couple of years back:

Salesman: Hi, is that the owner of the business?
Me: [Suspiciously, for I know what's coming] How can I help you?

Salesman: I'd like to explain how I can help you.
Me: Hang on - are you about to try and sell me something?

Salesman: No. Can I just explain?
Me: Hang on - do you want to engage my services?

Salesman: No. If I could just...
Me: And you don't want to sell me anything?

Salesman: No. But I...
Me: So let me get this straight: this is a business call, but you don't want me to buy anything, and you don't want me to provide you with anything?

Salesman: That's right.
Me: Well f*** off then.

Tell you what though, it would take me longer to hang up if someone called me and said, unashamedly, "I'd like to sell you a <name the product> because that's my job". That would be refreshingly open and honest.

exactly how i feel and deal with these calls - wasting my time and money
if i want a service i approach them i certainly would NOT BUY FROM COLDCALLERS

rob884 said:
If you're talking about plumbing supplies then i can only assume you don't shop at one of the major stores?
Assume whatever you wish to. I'm including plumbing supplies, but not limiting my point to plumbing supplies since that's not all I procure.

I also hate cold callers, but when its specific to your work and business not just some double glazing salesman, then whats the harm in listening to the offers.
This is about personal choice - I didn't say it was harmful, just that I don't have time for it and don't have a need for it.

Softus if a Rep tries to speak to you one day at the trade counter obviously trying to sell you something would you tell him to f*** off aswell...
Are you being deliberately dense? Read this bit again:-

I clearly said:
...it would take me longer to hang up if someone called me and said, unashamedly, "I'd like to sell you a <name the product> because that's my job". That would be refreshingly open and honest.

I gave the robust response to someone who not refreshingly open and honest, but instead was claiming not to be selling me anything. In other words a transparent liar.

So let me turn the question back to you - if a transparent liar tries to speak to you one day at the trade counter obviously trying to sell you something but claimed that he wasn't, what would you say or do?

I think it's pretty naive of you to think that anyone, especially the owner of a business, would call not trying to sell you something.

rob884 said:
I think it's pretty naive of you to think that anyone, especially the owner of a business, would call not trying to sell you something.
Are you trying to wind me up, or are you unbelievably hard of thinking?

1. It wasn't the owner of a business calling me - they asked for the owner of my business.

2. I didn't think anyone wasn't trying to sell me something - I knew they were trying to sell me something.

3. I initially asked them if they were trying to sell me something, because at that stage it might have been a customer wanting my services.

4. I later repeated the question because I thought they must have misheard me.

5. They told me that they weren't trying to sell me anything.

Please read these words carefully before you reply so that you don't misunderstand again. Or are you the bloke who cold-called me?

Sponsored Links
Back