cold radiator, expansion tank filling, dodgy heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our central heating system has usually worked ok in our 18 yr old house. But now we seem to have a number of problems, maybe someone here can tell me whether these problems are inter-related. The system we have is complicated by the fact that the ch circulates through a heat exchanger for our swimming pool. There is also though another gas boiler and pump that also feeds into the pipes leading into the heat exchanger - so in effect we have two boilers on the system - one is a Potterton and the other a Mexico. The problems are

- one radiator in the house does not heat up unless all other radiators are switched off
- swimming pool temperature is low,although pipes from ch system to and from heat exchanger are very hot
- there is a constant flow of water into the expansion tank and condensation forming in the loft

The BG engineer said he thought power flushing - at £500. Don't fancy that, but it does seem likely that sludge might gather at the cold radiator and the heat exchanger - both being the lowest points of the system. I'd be grateful for any thoughts, especially if anyone knows how or whether a heat exchanger can be cleaned out or whether it would need power flushing.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you have got away with little or no maintenance for 18 years, you are lucky. It sounds like the BG man is reasonable in suggesting a powerflush. He has seen the system and I haven't, so I couldn't say what it ought to cost. The powerflush will attend to the heat exchanger to some extent. £500 over 18yrs is around 60p a week, not bad.

Agree entirely, but this
" there is a constant flow of water into the expansion tank and condensation forming in the loft
"
usually indicates that there is also a design fault exacerbated maybe by sludge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back