cold water tank or unvented cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to refit my bathroom, including a nice powerful new shower.
I currently have an puny electric thing!
Problem is that my cold water tank is very small (fitting in the airing cupboard above the cylinder) and so this does not allow me many other shower options. Can anyone give me an idea what the costs might be to either fit a new cold water tank in the loft, including associated pipework (no pipework in loft at present) or to replace the cylinder and tank with an unvented cylinder?

I have an Ideal FF240 system boiler.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Why was the cold water cistern not placed in the loft in the first place. Is the loft access very small, Is the loft space full of roof structure (trusses etc.)
Is the cold water cistern separate from the HW cylinder or do you have a combination HW cylinder. It is more the size of the HW cylinder that matters, the cold water cistern will be refilled very rapidly by water at mains pressure.

Has a plumber told you a pump driven power shower is not an option. ?

I have no idea why the cold water cistern was not placed in the loft as I have only just moved in. The loft access was tiny, but I have opened up a new access hatch now. Plenty of space for a tank of any size.
The cold cistern is separate from the cylinder. It is a small galvanised tank (maybe 80cmx50cmx50cm - sorry I have no idea how many gallons that is! :oops: ) sitting above the hot cylinder. The cylinder is not so large (maybe 1.2m tall) and I would think that with a small cylinder and tank that any kind of 'power shower' would drain them pretty quickly. I haven't been told I can't fit a pumped shower just that it is not the best idea...

Any ideas on ballpark costs for the vented and unvented options?

Thanks
Keefa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back