Combi boiler loses pressure whenever radiators are on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since I removed and replaced a radiator (whilst decorating) my combi boiler has been experiencing a complete loss of pressure.

It happens like this: I pressurise the system to 1 bar (as per the manual) and the hot water works fine.

But as soon as I turn on the heating, the pressure (as read on the pressure gauge) goes right up to 3 bars and water starts leaking out of the boiler - presumably via the pressure release value.

When the radiators are switched off and the system allowed to cool down, the pressure drops to 0, and the hot water stops working until I repressurise it again.

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
The radiator you have removed previously contained sufficient air at the top to cushion the extra volume (approx 4% of system volume) of expanded water when the heating came on.

Since refilling and bleeding you now have no air in that radiator.

This expansion water is normally accomodated by the expansion vessel within the boiler. The expansion vessel should normally be pressurised with air to abount 0.7 Bar (in a normal flat/house).

Check previous posts etc for more details.

GasGuru - I've got exactly the same problem, mines a Baxi 133 HE Cond Combi with 17 rads. Can you tell me what the expansion vessel pressure should be and how you work it out? What happens if its more or less than that.

Cheers, Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back