Combi Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
My old boiler has just failed irreparably. Suggestion is to fit a Combi Boiler.

Not sure of pros and cons.

Has anyone experience with any problems associated with the Combi units?

Sponsored Links
try doing a search on this forum for combi boilers there are loads of opinions, but you could start here

If you do go for Combi boiler make sure you have good water pressure from the mains cold feed otherwise combi are useless,e.g. slow water rate filling up hot bath etc........

We're doing this right now.

Combi is a good choice and I swear by Vaillant, having had one and known several other people with them.

I am going to DIY the install, and get a Corgi plumber to commission the boiler - connect the gas and flue + test.

Speaking to a few plumbers for tech advice, almost all have advocated spending extra on a condensing boiler, which cost £300-400 more.

Reason being that the government are currently offering a grant for condensing boiler installs called the A1 boiler sheme (apparently - I'm having a real problem finding any links to this scheme on the net). Also, in 2006 there will be a new home fuel tax - meaning that condensing boilers are the way to go.

I hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
There are some deals around on condensers but only to Corgi regd plumbers for obvious reasons.

BFG Get a corgi involved before you start, otherwise you WILL get something wrong!
Where are you?

In a nutshell, it is illegal to fit your own boiler.

Peformance apart, NON combi boilers are likely to last 2 or 3 times as long as combis. If you have the space, don't have a combi.

Before you decide on a type of boiler work out what you want from it ie how much hot water and how often.do you need instant hot water etc. Condensing boilers are more eficiant around 10% more but you will certinaly have to have it on a maintainence scheme with an expert. Got to dissagre with chris over the life time of a combi they should last 10 to 15 years as should any boiler there not working any harder and share most components with conventional boilers from the same manafacturers.they dont cost more to repaire if you include tanks ,cyl,ball valves ,moterised valves etc found with a conventional boiler.

I take out too many 7 year old combis which are beyond economic repair. (A Baxi Bahama can get there in 3 years! Saunier Duvals as soon as they're warm :) ) And quite a lot of 30 year old cast iron boilers with nothing much wrong with them.

I know where to get a diverter valve for a combi for £20 but that isn't the price the customer gets charged. Combis are often victims of scale, which non-c's aren't anywhere near as much. Of course combis are more complicated, even though they are often cheaper.

Apart from "prototypes" let loose on the public (standard practise) , condensing boilers don't have much more to go wrong than non condensers.

From my previous post........
If you look on this forum 90% boiler problems are combi.Having said that we don't know how many combi versus non-combi boiler.They were ordinary design for tower block flats with no loft space for water tank & space saving for cylinder,then started to installed them in bungalow and then onto family 3-4 bedroom property.My potterson floorstanding boiler is still going strong after 23 years compare with combi lasting according to this forum 7-8 years.My parent have a valliant boiler which take 15 minutes to fill up the bath because of low water pressure and has broken down 4 times in 3 years.If you listen to everybody opinions you wouldn't buy nothing ! Don't let me put you off buying a combi as they are getting better all the time,I probably will buy a combi next time but personally I don't think the combi manufacter have got it quite right yet but they are economical and some happy & unhappy combi owners out there.This is personally my own opinion and have to agreed with ChrisR's with non-combi being more reliable

I agree they're getting better. If you a)need the space AND b) have just one bathroom they're the obvious choice. Biasi 28kW from B&Q is very good at £439 inc vat.

Cheaper than all 100.000 btu boilers I think!

Told today that they've gone up to £500! Reason given was that its a new model. A bit odd that, because those Biasi boilers are still available rebadged "Ideal Mini", for more money though a 2 year g'tee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back