Compact radiator - same as 'roll' top convector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a radiator, I have a combi boiler, and I beleive it's what's called a 'pressurised' system?

The rad I am replacing is what I call a standard rad, I think it's referred to as a 'roll top' convector - the size is 1200 x 620.

My local B&Q only sells compact radiators, they have a grill on the top, and what looks like inlets and outlets on the sides at the tops...I'm guessing that's just for bleeding?

I have radiator covers so I'm not worried about them looking the same so is it OK for me to buy a compact radiator and fit it in my pressureized system? Will I notice any difference?

Out of interest, what are the two 'connectors' at the top for?

In case I haven't used the right technology, this is what I'm referring to:

The top picture is what I have, the second picture is what I want to replace it with.
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/Design.cfm

Thanks in advance, and please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Mark, London, UK

Sponsored Links
The rads have tappings at top and bottom so that they can be used with different configurations.

There are packs with the rad with a blank plug and a plug with bleed screw supplied.

If you are fitting one of these inside a cover then first remove the sides and top grills to improve the heat output.

Dont forget to switch off boiler and repressurise afterwards.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Can I assume the threads of the nut on compact radiators will be the same as the thread on the valves fixed to my pipe that used to mate to the roll top?

If I buy a 1200mm compact to replace a 1200mm roll top will the pipes be in the correct place...i.e are they the same configuration?

Thanks in advance, simple stuff to you guys, a whole new world for a lot of us...you are providing a great service for the DIY enthusiast.

Regards, Mark

The threads wil be the same, and with a little bit of luck, and care, you'll be able to position the new rad so it fits the old pipes. If it's slightly shorter, you can get rad valve extenders.

Sponsored Links
"""Thanks in advance, simple stuff to you guys, a whole new world for a lot of us...you are providing a great service for the DIY enthusiast."""

Nice to find someone who values our help. That makes a nice change!

Last one said that "I had been unhelpful as always".

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back